M. Volleyball: Stanford players off to international tourneys

Aug. 4, 2011, 1:31 a.m.

Cardinal volleyball players will be busy this August, as six will participate in two major tournaments representing the United States.

Three of Stanford’s top six hitters from last season have headed to Brazil to play in the FIVB Junior World Championships, which run from Aug. 1 to 10. Sophomores Brian Cook, Eric Mochalski and Steven Irwin were all named to the squad, which won the tournament opener against Bulgaria before falling to host Brazil. Mochalski had seven kills, two blocks and an ace in the team’s four-set victory over Japan to end pool play on Wednesday, as the team advanced to the second round of pool play to take place later this week. Sophomore Carly Wopat finished fourth with the women’s team on Sunday.

After a week of tryouts, seniors Brad Lawson and Erik Shoji — along with former Cardinal setter and 2010 Collegiate Player of the Year Kawika Shoji — were chosen to play in the Junior Worlds. The squad will play from Aug. 12 to 23 in China.

—Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.