Marecic, Flynn win conference awards

July 14, 2011, 1:34 a.m.

Fullback Owen Marecic and lacrosse player Sarah Flynn were the two Stanford athletes given the Tom Hansen Conference Medal this year. Two graduating seniors — one male and one female — from each Pac-12 school are given the award annually.

A year after blocking for Heisman Trophy runner-up Toby Gerhart, Marecic made a name for himself as the only two-way player in college football, starting at both fullback and linebacker for the Cardinal. Averaging 110 plays per game, he scored seven touchdowns, including two in 13 seconds against Notre Dame. After intercepting an Irish pass and taking it 20 yards for a touchdown, he scored again on a short run on the next play from scrimmage.

Marecic, Flynn win conference awards
Owen Marecic, recently given the Tom Hansen Conference Medal, doubled as a fullback and linebacker in his senior season on the Farm.

Flynn led the Cardinal with 49 goals last season — including seven in one game — putting her career total at 145, a school record. She was given Stanford’s nomination for NCAA Woman of the Year after helping the Cardinal earn a second straight NCAA tournament berth.

Last year’s Stanford medal winners were Gerhart and gymnast Carly Janiga.

-Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.