The Daily brief: July 5, 2011

Directors’ Cup | The Cardinal won this award for being the top intercollegiate athletic program in the nation for the 17th consecutive year, earning the Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup, presented annually by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA), Learfield Sports and USA Today. Eighteen of Stanford’s 35 intercollegiate programs finished their seasons ranked in the top 10 nationally. The College Sports Information Directors of America awarded 20 student-athletes Academic All-America status.

Journalism gone digital | From platforms to connect radio stations and listeners, to forging a space in Pakistan’s main media for young bloggers and online activists, to a framework for covering natural disasters, Stanford’s 2011 Knight Fellows share their “Engineering Journalism” projects.

Post Commencement | A Time piece explores the role incumbent President Felipe Calderon, Stanford’s 2011 Commencement speaker, may play in the “searing race” of Mexico’s 2012 presidential election. A victory by Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) member Eruviel Avila in the election for governor of the most populous state in Mexico may indicate that the PRI will be a significant contender.

Overheard | “The national images of racially mixed people have dramatically changed just within the last few years, from ‘mulattoes’ as psychically divided, racially impure outcasts to being hip new millennials who attractively embody the resolution of America’s race problem” — Michele Elam, associate professor of English, on stereotypes of mixed-race artists.

Follow The Daily | FacebookTwitterdaily email digest.