Review: ‘Kung Fu Panda’

June 2, 2011, 12:32 a.m.

Review: 'Kung Fu Panda'
Courtesy of Paramount Pictures

The funny, goofy panda bear Po (Jack Black) returns in the eagerly-awaited “Kung Fu Panda 2” with new jokes, an identity crisis blended with daddy issues and some striking new kung fu moves. These elements are all seamlessly incorporated into the film, making it a cute treat for the whole family.

Ready to tackle any villain who poses a danger to China, the Dragon Warrior Po has become, in stark contrast to the first “Kung Fu Panda”, a force to be reckoned with — performing some perfect combination hits with the Furious Five and pummeling the enemy wolves. However, an even greater danger arrives when a vicious peacock, Lord Shen (Gary Oldman), develops a powerful weapon that threatens to end the dominance of kung fu — the gunpowder cannon. To prevent this evil from plunging the land into the darkness of Lord Shen’s horrible reign, the Dragon Warrior and his faithful companions are called upon to save the day. Able to stuff 38 — or 40 — bean buns in his ridiculously large mouth, Po thinks, of course, that Shen is no match for his size and awesomeness — until he has a flashback in the middle of a fight, a vision of his mother abandoning him. Master Shifu (Dustin Hoffman) instructs the confused and wounded Po to set out on a journey to attain “inner peace.”

Thus, Po goes to meet his fate and face his nemesis, the white peacock, Lord Shen. The newly introduced antagonist has a crazed look in his eye that says he would blow up the whole world with his cannons if he could. One of the movie’s strengths, however, is that there is much more to each character than meets the eye. Even the evil peacock ends up somewhat sympathetic — he is simply seeking approval from his own parents, who have disowned him for past crimes. The lead-in at the start of the movie — shadow puppetry, incorporating traditional Chinese elements — is a beautifully illustrated history of the villain’s former life.

The fateful battle between good and evil happens in the city of Gongmen. Gongmen City is beautifully rendered in 3D and showcases traditional Chinese architecture, much of which is reduced to rubble by the crazy peacock as the battle progresses.

The Furious Five are boosted by their celebrity voices — Jack Black as Po, Angelina Jolie as Tigress and Jackie Chan as Monkey. The actors and actresses enhance the characters’ individuality and funniness.

All in all, the movie is perfect for some family fun. “Kung Fu Panda 2” isn’t just another kids’ movie — it’s a well-made motion picture that exceeds all expectations.

@BYLINE:<\m> cindy NI

contact cindy: [email protected]