BRIEF: Piscotty, Ragira lead seven Cardinal baseball players on All-Pac-10 teams

June 2, 2011, 1:43 a.m.

Sophomore third baseman Stephen Piscotty was selected to the All-Pac-10 First Team when the conference awards were announced on Tuesday, while freshman first baseman Brian Ragira was the second consecutive Stanford player named Pac-10 Freshman of the Year, following sophomore shortstop Kenny Diekroeger last season.

In all, seven players from the Cardinal earned conference honors, led by Piscotty’s first-team selection. Ragira, Diekroeger, sophomore outfielders Tyler Gaffney and Jake Stewart, freshman outfielder Austin Wilson and junior closer Chris Reed were all named All-Pac-10 honorable mentions.

It was the second straight all-conference selection for Gaffney and Diekroeger, with Gaffney hitting .320 and riding a 17-game hit streak into this weekend’s upcoming NCAA Regional Tournament at Cal State Fullerton.

Diekroeger was a preseason All-American on the heels of making last year’s All-Pac-10 First-Team, but after starting the season on fire is in the midst of a prolonged slump during his sophomore campaign. While the Menlo Park native is still hitting .298 for the year, his batting average has dipped considerably from the start of the conference season, when he was hitting above .400.

Wilson has lived up to the hype in his first year on the Farm. A highly touted outfielder from Los Angeles, Wilson is hitting .313 and is tied for the team lead with four home runs. His outfield partner, Stewart, is coming off appendix problems but batting .294 with 14 doubles and playing a solid center field for the Cardinal.

Stanford (32-20, 14-12 Pac-10) begins postseason play against Kansas State (36-23) on Friday at 4 p.m.

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at [email protected]