‘Pawn’: An homage to humanity

'Pawn': An homage to humanity
Courtesy of Karmia Cao

The latest incarnation of “Pawn”, a folk-rock musical written and directed by Stanford student Karmia Cao ‘11, paints a breathtaking portrait of the Niu family, whose history is in many ways the history of modern terrorism. “Pawn” is a stunning production. It is at once timeless for its emotionally raw exploration of familial ties and immediately relevant for the pressing questions it raises about war and vengeance.

The show centers around the Nius’ son Abraham, a Canadian soldier serving in Afghanistan. A split second before Abraham must choose between survival or sacrifice, he is taken to “the pawn shop of time” – a representation of his conscience where time stops moving forward as he weighs the choice he must make.

The music alone makes “Pawn” well worth the cost of admission. The music drives the show; it is its emotional heartbeat. The score testifies to Cao’s prowess as a songwriter, with numbers ranging from angst-filled rock anthems to delicate love songs. This production features phenomenally talented musicians who do these songs justice, both on stage and in the band. The cast members have gorgeous voices individually and, though soloists are occasionally quiet, their ensemble sound is incredibly moving and powerful. The band, put simply, rocks.

Sarah Guerrero ‘11 repeats her inspired performance as Abraham’s mother, Ma. Though it is Abraham who must make a choice about his own life, Ma is the force behind that decision. Guerrero brings Ma to life with such tenderness and zeal that it is impossible not to hope and grieve alongside her.

Cao has reworked the show significantly since its November debut at Stanford, and her efforts have paid off. The story line now is much crisper and more believable. Supporting characters, including Abraham’s sister, girlfriend and fellow soldiers, receive more development, which in turn strengthens their relationships with Abraham and adds to the emotional depth of his decision. Abraham’s platoon of soldiers, in particular, come into their own now, giving voice to a refreshing diversity of opinions on war while still drawing together as a team. The show unquestionably calls for peace and tolerance, but it does so in a way that expresses the utmost respect for those who serve in the military.

“Pawn” is a poignant and cathartic homage to the worth and uniqueness of human life. Though much of its content is dark, the show remains hopeful, waiting for a day of reconciliation. Let this be the day.

“Pawn” is showing Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 8 p.m. in Manzanita Dining. Tickets are $5 each, available in White Plaza or online at pawnthemusical.com.