On this Giving Tuesday, support The Daily's independent student journalism.

BRIEF: Freshman Brown accepts invite to USA U-19 World Championship Training Camp

Freshman guard/forward Anthony Brown was invited to and will attend the USA Men’s U-19 World Championship Training Camp next month. He will join 16 of the nation’s top basketball players aged 19 years or younger, all of whom are competing for a spot on the 12-person squad that will play at the 2011 FIBA U-19 World Championship.

Freshman guard/forward Anthony Brown (above) has accepted an invitation to join the USA Men's Basketball U-19 World Championship Training Camp in June. The forward/guard is one of 16 players competing for 12 roster spots for the 2011 U-19 World Basketball Championships to be held in Latvia (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily).

Brown, a four-star recruit in 2010, made the Pac-10 All-Freshman Team after averaging 8.7 points and 3.2 rebounds a game in his first season. He came on strong toward the end of the year, beginning with a breakout 21-point, eight-rebound performance against Oregon State in the middle of Pac-10 play. With the departure of Jeremy Green to the NBA, Brown will be expected to take on a greater—if not primary—scoring role in the 2011-2012 season.

Brown will not be the Pac-10’s only representative at the camp. Cal’s Allen Crabbe—the conference’s freshman of the year—and Richard Solomon will be there, as will current high school senior and Arizona commit Josiah Turner.

The weeklong camp will take place in Colorado Springs, Colo. at the U.S. Olympic Training Center from June 17-24. The team will be selected almost immediately after, as the World Championships begin June 30 in Latvia.