BRIEF: KZSU to retain all broadcast rights following KNBR deal

In a move that reaffirmed the long-standing agreement between Stanford Athletics and KZSU 90.1 FM, the student-run radio station confirmed that it would retain its coverage of Stanford men’s basketball and football games next year. The station’s broadcast rights were unaffected by Monday’s announcement that Bay Area radio station KNBR 1050 AM had acquired the broadcast rights to both Cardinal football and men’s basketball.

KZSU Sports Director JD Haddon confirmed earlier reports Wednesday that KZSU would continue to broadcast both football and men’s basketball, in addition to its exclusive broadcasts of women’s basketball and baseball games.

“The verdict is that literally nothing changes for KZSU,” Haddon said. “It’s the same contract, just with a different provider.”

He added that the switch from XTRA Sports 860 to KNBR, which also holds the rights to San Francisco Giants, Golden State Warriors and San Francisco 49ers games, would only be a positive thing for Stanford sports coverage.

“The real winners here are Stanford sports fans,” Haddon said. “Another station will be covering the games, but we’re not at all competing with [KNBR], and we’re just happy nothing changes in our coverage.”

KNBR’s coverage will begin in August with the start of the football season, which officially begins on Sept. 3 at Stanford Stadium.