BRIEF: Men’s soccer bests Santa Clara in exhibition match

By and

After a very narrow 1-0 loss at the hands of Major League Soccer’s San Jose Earthquakes two weeks ago, the men’s soccer team returned to its winning ways with one of its best performances of a successful spring season in a 4-2 victory over Santa Clara last night.

BRIEF: Men's soccer bests Santa Clara in exhibition match
The Stanford men's soccer team beat Santa Clara 4-2 on Wednesday to get back to its winning ways after falling to the San Jose Earthquakes last week. (MILES BENNETT-SMITH/The Stanford Daily)

Freshmen Tyler Conklin and Austin Meyer both scored their first collegiate goals in a wild second half that featured end-to-end action and six goals. Conklin’s goal started the scoring spree and was quickly followed by a strike from sophomore forward Adam Jahn.

The Broncos answered back with a goal of their own, but the Cardinal responded with freshman forward Adrian Berg’s second goal of the spring.

A questionable call allowed Santa Clara to draw within one when a Bronco player appeared to bat the ball into the goal with his arm, but Meyer was perfectly positioned to pounce on a rebound in front of the goal and calmly slot it away for the final margin.

Stanford missed several other chances to score in front of a crowd of about 150 spectators, but head coach Bret Simon said he was pleased with the team’s effort as a whole.

The Cardinal returns to action in its final game of the spring on May 13, when it hosts UC-Davis at 7 p.m.