BRIEF: Stanford’s Bobbie Kelsey named head women’s basketball coach at Wisconsin

After four years as an assistant coach with Stanford, Bobbie Kelsey was named the new head coach of the University of Wisconsin women’s basketball team on Monday.

In her time with the team, Kelsey helped Stanford reach the Final Four in four consecutive seasons. Stanford posted an overall record of 137-14 in that time, including a 69-3 run in Pac-10 play.

“We are thrilled for Bobbie and for the opportunity she has earned at Wisconsin,” said Stanford head coach Tara VanDerveer. “Bobbie has done an outstanding job here at Stanford over the past four years and truthfully it is bittersweet to see her leave. I know that she will continue to do a fine job in Madison, and we wish her the absolute best.”

Kelsey’s biggest contribution may have been the development of Stanford’s defense. Over the past three seasons, the Cardinal has set school records in lowest opponent scoring average, lowest opponent field-goal percentage and rebounding margin.

As a player from 1991-96, Kelsey was a four-time letterwinner and helped to power Stanford to its 1992 national championship. She was a co-captain in 1995 and ’96, was voted the team’s Most Inspirational Player in 1992 and ’96, and was named the team’s Most Improved Player in 1993.