Sexual assault reported in Escondido Village

A text message was sent to the student body on Saturday night after an attempted sexual assault in Escondido Village. According to Stanford police, the assault happened around 9:30 p.m. at a low-rise unit on Comstock Circle.

The suspect, who is still at large, gained entry to the apartment and entered the bedroom of the woman, who was sleeping. When she awoke, saw the intruder and screamed, he fled the scene. Police reports described the suspect as dark-skinned, possibly black, around 30 years old and roughly 5-foot-6.

Anyone with information relating to the crime is encouraged to contact the Stanford and Palo Alto police at 650-329-2413.

When Student Housing alerted students via email about the crime on Sunday afternoon, it inadvertently publicized a mailing listserv that all students were subscribed to and any individual could post to. A string of approximately 200 emails from students ensued, with emails being sent in extremely quick succession.

One of the more memorable emails was one sent by Sam D’Amico ’12, who sent a message with “HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE” as the subject line, telling students to send “unsubscribe-list-this with no subject line” to get themselves off the list. A large number of students responded to D’Amico’s suggestion, prompting even more e-mails to the list.

Other popular notes included pictures and links to videos on YouTube videos. The list was shut down after being open for about an hour.

— Kabir Sawhney