BRIEF: Junior guard Green suspended from school

Stanford junior guard Jeremy Green, a first-team all-Pac-10 selection, was suspended from school on Wednesday for academic reasons.

Junior guard Jeremy Green (above) was suspended from school on Wednesday for academic reasons. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Green, the Cardinal’s leading scorer last season, was an integral part of a team with no seniors this past year, but the academic suspension is not expected to affect Green’s status as a member of the team for next year.

Head Coach Johnny Dawkins expects Green to be back for next season, but it is conceivable that the junior from Austin, Texas could declare for the NBA Draft. The deadline to declare for the draft is Sunday, April 24.

The Cardinal leaned on Green to be a major scoring threat this past season, so his return is crucial to Stanford’s offensive game.

Green’s 16.7 points-per-game average was fifth-best in the Pac-10 this past season. He was especially deadly from deep, as he made 88 three-pointers; the second most in the conference, and his 43 percent accuracy from beyond the arc was fourth-best in the Pac-10.

This is the second suspension for Green in his time at Stanford. In October 2009, Green was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence at a campus dormitory and subsequently suspended for the Cardinal’s season-opening game.