BRIEF: Top-ranked women’s tennis downs Sun Devils

Staying unbeaten this season, the Cardinal women’s tennis team (18-0, 5-0 Pac-10) took six out of seven points from Arizona State on Friday.

The Card found itself in a rare 0-1 deficit to start the afternoon after dropping two of three doubles matches. The team’s senior Hilary Barte and sophomore Mallory Burdette scored Stanford’s only doubles victory of the day.

BRIEF: Top-ranked women's tennis downs Sun Devils
The Stanford women's tennis team posted a 6-1 victory over Arizona State to remain undefeated on the season. The Card went down 0-1 to start the match after only senior Hilary Barte, above, and partner Mallory Burdette won their doubles match. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

But the team returned to its usual form for the rest of the match, taking all six singles matches to turn the initial struggle into a decisive victory. The Cardinal’s Nos. 1 through 4–Barte, Burdette, and freshmen Nicole Gibbs and Kristie Ahn–all won in straight sets.

The victory marks the 175th consecutive win for the team at home, as well as a continuation of Stanford’s current overall streak, now at 37 straight wins. It also puts a dagger into the ASU (13-4, 3-1 Pac-10), an unexpected Pac-10 contender this year suffering just its first loss in the league this season.

Stanford’s match against No. 30 Arizona scheduled for Saturday was cancelled and will not be rescheduled, so the Cardinal will wait until this Friday to return to action, taking on Fresno State at 1:30 p.m. at Taube Tennis Stadium.