Women’s swimming preps for NCAA Championships

While most students finish up end-quarter examinations this week, the Stanford women’s swimming team will face another sort of final test.

After finishing runner-up to the Florida Gators last year, the Pac-10 Champion Cardinal will have an opportunity to earn its 10th national title this weekend in Austin, Texas, where the NCAA Championships runs from March 17-19. A win would also earn a 100th overall NCAA title for Stanford, which has seen at least one team take a national title for 33 straight years.

Stanford heads to Austin as the third-ranked team in the meet, behind Georgia and rival Cal. Across various events, 15 Cardinal swimmers are ranked in the top 15 nationally. Senior Kate Dwelley boasts sixth-best marks in the 50 free (22.04) and 100 free (48.14), while freshman Maya DiRado holds three top-five rankings – she’s third in the 400 IM (4:02.48), fourth in the 200 IM (1:55.11) and fifth in the 200 back (1:52.04).

-Nate Adams

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.