Vaid-Menon v. Cardona trial to take place this evening

Constitutional Case Vaid-Menon v. Cardona will take place tonight in Kehillah Hall, which is located on the second floor of Koret Pavilion, behind Hillel House, at 8 p.m.

The case was brought last week against a bill passed by the ASSU to place an “advisory referendum” question on the spring general elections ballot to gauge student support for ROTC.

Alok Vaid-Menon ’13, president of Stanford Students for Queer Liberation (SSQL), filed a petition for the case last Sunday, claiming that the measure is in violation of the ASSU non-discrimination policy, and by extension, the University’s policy as well.

Both Vaid-Menon and ASSU President Angelina Cardona will have the opportunity to use the solicitors general in representing their respective sides.

According to Constitutional Council Chair Samir Siddhanti, there will be time at the conclusion of the trial for friends of the court–any member with ASSU standing–to offer opinions. The trial is open to the public. As per the Rules of Order, a decision will be made within three days of the hearing.

– Kate Abbott