Oscars Fashion: The best & the worst

Oscars Fashion: The best & the worst
Courtesy of Kirk McKoy/The Los Angeles Times/MCT

BEST

Mila Kunis

The “Black Swan” star’s Elie Saab gown managed to exude elegance with its delicate lace and light lilac coloring. While Scarlett Johansson wore a similar Saab to the Golden Globes and came off as dull and dowdy, Kunis kept things fresh with a flirty peekaboo bodice.

Jennifer Lawrence

Lawrence may have lost the Oscar to Natalie Portman, but she scored some serious fashion cred in this sexy Calvin Klein number. Her gentle waves popped against the perfect, simple cut of the gown.

Natalie Portman

Aided by her pregnancy glow, Portman shone in her deep purple Rodarte (label founders Kate and Laura Mulleavy also designed Portman’s “Black Swan” costume). She accessorized with fun tassel earrings from Tiffany & Co. to match her dress and didn’t let her pregnancy stop her from strutting down the red carpet in Jimmy Choo heels.

Hailee Steinfeld

Steinfeld has proven that chic and age appropriate don’t have to be mutually exclusive. The “True Grit” star looked adorable in her custom pale pink Marchesa, topping off a stellar red carpet season.

Reese Witherspoon

Witherspoon’s sleek black and white Armani Privé stood out in a sea of volume and lace. A high bouffant ponytail completed her 60s throwback.

WORST

Melissa Leo

Why Leo decided to show up to the Oscars in a giant, white doily, we’ll never know.

Marisa Tomei

It’s like in “Sleeping Beauty” when the pink and blue fairies argue over which color Aurora’s dress should be, except in this case, it was the tulle fairy versus the satin fairy, and everyone lost.

Nicole Kidman

In between the garish red shoes and confusing hip ornamentation, Kidman’s Oscar look was questionable to say the least.

Scarlett Johansson

It would appear Johansson rolled out of bed, forgot to comb her unkempt hair and mistook her grandma’s old purple pantyhose for an Oscar gown.

Hilary Swank

Harshly yanked back hair did Swank no favors nor did the dead duck feathers attached to the bottom of her dress.

JURY’S OUT

Cate Blanchett

Blanchett is a fashion goddess and has never made a misstep, which makes us hesitant to pass judgment on her silk chiffon Givenchy. Is it fashion forward or over the top?

Jennifer Hudson

The former “American Idol” contestant made a bold statement in her vibrant orange Versace. However, if you’re going to show off the girls, at least make sure they’re evenly tanned.