BRIEF: Swimming standout Staab wins Pac-10 title in record-breaking fashion

By and

Senior Austin Staab set his fifth career school record in inspired fashion, winning his third Pac-10 title in the 200-meter individual medley yesterday at the Pac-10 Championships in Long Beach, Calif.

Staab is also a two-time Pac-10 champ in the 100-meter butterfly, but on Thursday it was all about the individual medley. His time of 1:42.01 broke the previous Stanford record, set in 2009 by Nat Cass (1:43.82), by almost two seconds.

Junior Morgan Priestley, above, and the Stanford men's swim team were in first place after the first day at the Pac-10 Championships. Senior Austin Staab also won his third Pac-10 title in the 200 Individual Medley and set a school-record in the process. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

The rest of the team showed admirably as well, with junior Bobby Bollier finishing as the runner-up in the 500 free and three Stanford swimmers placing in the top eight in the 500 free, 200 IM and 50 free.

The Cardinal’s effort earned 323 points, which was good enough for first place after the first day of the four-day event. California is in second with 251 points.

Stanford has won the last 29 straight Pac-10 Championships, which are being held at Belmont Plaza Pool and run through Saturday.