W. Gymnastics: Cardinal improves to 15-0 with victory over Arizona State

The second-ranked Stanford women’s gymnastics team set a school record with its 15th consecutive victory Sunday, when it defeated No. 33 Arizona State, 196.825-192.375.

Sophomore Ashley Morgan finished first in the vault, beam and floor exercise against Arizona State (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily).

Stanford (15-0) came into the meet having beaten Arizona State in 24 of their last 25 matchups. Despite its 4-9 record, the Sun Devils had some factors in their favor last weekend: they had just won two straight over Washington and Cal, and Stanford’s leader in the all-around, senior Allyse Ishino—also the nation’s third-ranked competitor on the bars—was out with an ankle injury.

Ishino got hurt performing her floor exercise in last week’s dual meet against Arizona. She was at Stanford’s final home meet Sunday and was honored with two fellow seniors, Shelley Alexander and Danielle Ikoma, for their contributions to the team.

Alexander is ranked No. 4 in the nation in all-around and is ranked 12th on the vault and 10th on the beam.

Ikoma placed first in the all-around on Sunday with a career-best score of 39.275. The victory was Ikoma’s first ever all-around victory. She also had career highs on the bars and the floor, where she scored 9.850 and 9.825, respectively.

Sophomore Ashley Morgan also managed to improve her records when she matched two season highs and set a new career high. Morgan finished first in the vault with a career-best 9.925—Stanford’s highest score on the event all season.

Morgan continued to dominate and took first on the beam as well as the floor. On beam, she matched her career best of 9.900, while on the floor she was on par with her best performances at 9.925.

Another Cardinal sophomore, Nicole Dayton, matched the 9.850 she scored on the floor at the team’s meet against San Jose State. The 9.850 is both Dayton’s season and career best for the floor exercise. Freshman Kristina Vaculik vaulted for the first time in her career and scored a 9.825.

Stanford emerged from the dual meet with a team victory in every event. It’s overall score of 196.825 is tied for its second best performance of the year, bested only by a Feb. 5 victory over San Jose State, when the team scored a 196.975.

Stanford heads to Berkeley on Sunday for its last dual meet before the Pac-10 Conference Championships at UCLA. Sunday’s competition is a four-way meet against Cal, Denver and Oregon State. If the Cardinal wins the meet, it will end the season with an unblemished record.