Junior dies after multi-year battle with cancer

Sarah Adicoff ’12 died Thursday morning after a long battle with cancer that began when she was in high school. She was 21.

Adicoff was diagnosed with rhabdomyosarcoma, a cancer of the body’s soft tissues, when she was 16. She relapsed multiple times, most recently in February 2009, after her first quarter at Stanford.

Adicoff lived in Branner her freshman year, Toyon sophomore year and Storey this fall quarter before taking a leave of absence in the winter. She was a member of Alpha Delta Phi Society, an unhoused co-ed fraternity on campus.

When members of Alpha Delt received word of Adicoff’s passing on Thursday afternoon, they organized an evening vigil at Lake Lagunita’s fire pit. Haley Knapp ’11, a member Alpha Delt and family friend of Adicoff’s, estimated that 20 to 30 people from Alpha Delt and Storey came to show their support and share stories.

“There were lots of silences because no one really knows what to say when you’ve got a loss like that,” Knapp said of the vigil. “But it turned out well.”

Avinash Achaibar ’12, a friend of Adicoff who lived with her in Branner and Storey this year, remembers Adicoff for her optimism and ability to appreciate each moment.

“Sarah was probably more full of life than a lot of people I know, and she knew probably more than anyone how to live in the moment,” Achaibar said. “She never let her sickness be a crutch or let it limit her. She would always talk about going to Disneyland and the Galapagos. At Stanford, I think living in the moment is something that we forget.”

Storey will host a support services meeting for those affected by Adicoff’s passing on Monday at 7 p.m. in the side lounge, according to resident assistant Andy Hiller ’11.

–Amy Julia Harris

• Daniel

Lived in Toyon with Sarah last year. It was so wonderful that she returned to campus this year after taking some time off last year. I really thought things were looking better.

Sarah, you had a sharp wit that we saw so often in Toyon. You brought us joy and smiles, and you will be missed.

• Robyn Rajkovich

I didn’t know Sarah personally but worked with her Mom here at Stanford many years ago at the Med Center. Knowing what an amazing lady Sarah’s Mom is, I can only surmise that Sarah was every bit as wonderful and, by reading this article in The Daily, it sure looks like she was… and then some. It breaks my heart that Sam, Sue and their family are going through this horrible tragedy and loss. They will all certainly be in our thoughts and prayers.