The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

Stanford grad student awarded Pearl internship

Alexandra Wexler M.A. ’11 has been awarded the 2011 Daniel Pearl memorial journalism internship, which funds a summer internship in a foreign bureau of The Wall Street Journal.

Wexler is a master’s student in communication with an emphasis in journalism. She graduated from Duke University in 2010 with a bachelor’s degree in political science.

The internship commemorates Daniel Pearl ’85, a Wall Street Journal reporter who was kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan in 2002.

A native of New York City, Wexler first became interested in journalism her freshman year at Duke, when she took an international relations class that required her to read The New York Times every day. Since then, she has had several journalism internships, including stints at The Durham Herald-Sun, the broadcast station ABC Eyewitness News in Durham, N.C., and GlobalPost.com.

Wexler views Pearl’s legacy as one of global discourse and communication. She hopes to use the internship “to promote cross-cultural understanding” through her stories, she said.

Attrib: Samantha McGirr