M. Wrestling: Team finds its stride at Lone Star Duals

The Stanford wrestling team went 3-1 last Saturday at the Lone Star Duals in Texas. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

The No. 23 Stanford wrestling team experienced success at the Lone Star Duals in Texas last Saturday, with victories over The Citadel, Brown and Harvard and a single loss to No. 17 Nebraska. The Card (7-6) was led by dominant performances from senior Zack Giesen, junior Nick Amuchastegui, redshirt sophomore Timmy Boone, sophomore Ryan Mango and freshman Dan Schere, all of whom went undefeated on the day.

Stanford opened the competition with a 23-12 decision over The Citadel followed by a 26-12 win over Brown, taking seven of the 10 bouts in each dual. The Card narrowly lost a close dual to the Nebraska squad, 19-17, with both teams taking five bouts apiece. In its last matchup of the day, the Cardinal bounced back with a 35-10 rout of Harvard to go 3-1 on the day.

Giesen, who went 4-0 in the duals and remains perfect on the season at 13-0, recorded his 100th career win by pinning Harvard’s Bryan Panzano in a mere 27 seconds. The senior–currently ranked 10th in the nation in the 197-pound weight class–is only the sixth wrestler in Stanford history to reach the 100-win mark. Giesen tallied a 9-5 win over The Citadel’s Kelby Smith, a 10-4 edge over Nebraska’s Andy Johnson and a win by forfeit against Brown.

Ranked sixth in the nation at 125 pounds, Mango also went 4-0 in Saturday’s event. Mango posted four victories by large margins, winning 12-5, 16-5, 20-5 and 15-4 against The Citadel, Brown, Nebraska and Harvard, respectively.

The Cardinal will face Pac-10 opponent Oregon State on Sunday, Jan. 23 in Corvallis at 2 p.m.