Condoleezza Rice said it best: immigration reform is about the “national soul”. Call to help pass the DREAM Act!

Dec. 3, 2010, 10:13 a.m.

As I wrote about in this week’s column, the DREAM Act is being pushed for a vote these few days in Congress. Harry Reid has been floating different versions of the bill in the Senate, hoping to get it passed during the lame duck session before Republicans take over the House in January.

The media would have us think that the issue of immigration reform naturally pins Republicans against Democrats. But this is not so. Not only did The Economist (which leans Republican on most economic issues) endorse the DREAM Act (along with The New York Times and Stanford President John Hennessy), but former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice argued passionately for comprehensive immigration reform in her very first public appearance at Stanford last year, calling the failure to pass immigration reform one of her “biggest regrets” and describing the issue as closely related to our “national soul”:

The DREAM Act, which offers a 6-year pathway to citizenship for college students and military service members who were brought to the U.S. as children, is closely tied to American identity. It is about giving young people who are here through no fault of their own a chance to reach for their dreams. They are Americans in spirit already; this law is about rectifying the unjust situation they face. We have a handful of days to do it.

It’s quick and easy, here’s what YOU can do: Call 1-866-587-3023 and request to be connected to the representatives listed below who are currently either in opposition or on the fence. When you get transferred to them, simply state that you are calling in support of the DREAM Act. That’s it and you can hang up! Even a few calls will make a difference, and be sure to call your own representative if he or she is on the list. Let’s pass the DREAM Act!

Senate Democrats: Conrad (ND), Dorgan (ND), McCaskill (MO), Webb (VA), Warner (VA), Landrieu (LA), Pryor (AR), Tester (MT), Hagan (NC)

Senate Republicans: Murkowski (AK), Hutchison (TX), Brownback (KS), Kirk (IL), Bennett (UT), Voinovich (OH), Snowe (ME), Collins (ME), Lemieux (FL), Lugar (IN), Bunning (KY)

Representatives: Kirkpatrick (AZ),  Berry (AR),  Ross (AR),  Cardoza (CA),  Dreier (CA),  Costa (CA),  Klein (FL),  Kosmas (FL),  Putnam (FL),  Barrow (GA),  Marshall (GA),  Bishop (GA),  Scott (GA),  Bean (IL),  Halvorson (IL),  Hill (IN),  Visclosky (IN),  Chandler (KY),  Michaud (ME),  Kratovil (MD),  Dingell (MI),  Schauer (MI),  Kildee (MI),  Peters (MI),  McCollum (MN),  Oberstar (MN),  Peterson (MN),  Walz (MN),  Adler (NJ),  Murphy (NY),  Slaughter (NY),  Arcuri (NY),  Higgins (NY),  Hall (NY),  Lee (NY),  Owens (NY),  Kissell (NC),  Boccieri (OH),  Wilson (OH),  Holden (PA),  Dahlkemper (PA),  Gordon (TN),  Tanner (TN),  Cooper (TN),  Boucher (VA),  Nye (VA)