Taking Five on the Farm

Dec. 1, 2010, 3:04 a.m.

Taking Five on the Farm
ERIC KOFMAN/The Stanford Daily

Coterming means time for academic depth and a fresh take on campus life

Undergraduate students and graduate students form two distinct segments of the Stanford student population. But for coterminal degree students, the line is less clearly defined.

“We’re kind of like pseudo-grad students,” said Nikil Viswanathan ’11, who is pursuing a master’s degree in computer science. “Academically, we take grad courses. But socially we are still very much tied to the undergrad community.”

Viswanathan and students like him aren’t alone in their decision to coterm. According to Celeste Fowles Nguyen, assistant in degree programs in the University registrar’s office, approximately 427 students were approved to coterm during 2009-2010.

The coterminal degree program at Stanford allows undergraduates to work on master’s degrees while they complete their Stanford bachelor’s degrees. According to associate dean of Undergraduate Advising and Research (UAR) Randy Williams, coterming gives students an opportunity to pursue advanced studies in an academic interest.

Many students choose to coterm with their career goals in mind.

Maya Mathur ’13, for example, plans to coterm in statistics after completing an undergraduate major in psychology.

“Stats and psych go really well together,” Mathur said. “An M.A. in stats will help me as an empirical psychologist who needs a solid stats background.”

Similarly, Sean Ramey ’11, is planning to coterm next year in mechanical engineering with a focus on control systems. He hopes his degree will further prepare him for a career in defense systems and robotics.

“The engineering coterm is a continuation of undergrad years with classes that are like job training,” Ramey said. “You develop new skills and take classes that focus on your interest.”

Although many coterms admitted that an M.A. has the potential to yield monetary benefits, students also choose to coterm because they don’t want their intellectual career to end with their undergraduate diploma.

Teresa Robbins ’11, who completed her undergraduate degree at Stanford in biology, decided to coterm in Latin American studies because she always had a strong interest in Mexican immigration and culture.

“I want to help some of the Mexican population as a doctor and explore another field of study besides science,” Robbins said.

Lance Choy, director of the Career Development Center (CDC), said a coterm can sometimes yields benefits in the job search. However, both Williams and Choy said a coterm is not necessarily a student’s best choice. Williams suggested that in some cases, an honors thesis or a graduate program might be more appropriate.

“There are many factors one must take into account when deciding to coterm,” Choy said, citing career, value of education and academic interests as possible factors.

According to Judith Romero, a spokeswoman for the School of Law, students should avoid approaching a coterm degree as a resume booster.

“You should base your decision on the merits of the program as it relates to your area of interest and what you intend to do with the degree,” Romero said in an e-mail to The Daily. “Don’t take it on because you think it will give you a leg up in the admissions process.”

Coterm: An Undergrad or Grad?

Even though coterms are not technically undergrads in their fifth year, this doesn’t stop them from participating in undergraduate student life. Viswanathan still spends time with undergraduates as a resident assistant (RA) in the freshman dorm Soto.

“I still see a lot of my undergraduate friends very often through various activities such as captaining our IM Frisbee team…by going to football games and by eating at Row houses,” Viswanathan said.

James Chu ’11, who is coterming in sociology, also remains connected to undergraduate life through his staffing position in the EAST residence.

“I’m still in dorm housing, so it feels just like an undergrad [experience],” Chu said.

To Robbins, one of the perks of coterming is having a flexible schedule. She is not a member of as many activities as she was during her undergraduate years, which allows her more free time to focus on activities like Habla, Stanford Immigrant Rights Project and having fun on weekends.

Some coterms feel closer to the graduate student community. Robbins said her social life is more like that of a graduate student’s.

“Since I’m not a senior, I don’t have all of these social obligations, like pub nights and parties,” Robbins said.

Many coterms make a point of remaining close to friends from their Stanford years. “When I coterm, I plan to live in Munger with my draw group, who are also coterming,” Ramey said.

Viswanathan described how coterms seem to feel less academic pressure than grad students.

“We coterms tend to look really happy while graduate students look stressed and sad,” he said.

While some coterms end their undergraduate careers and begin a new chapter, others consider themselves undergraduates with more time. What coterms do seem to agree on is that they are fortunate to have been both undergraduate and coterminal students at Stanford.

“We are super lucky to have good friends around campus and know what’s going on,” Viswanathan said.