Press, Ratcliffe earn conference accolades

After a stellar season, Stanford senior forward Christen Press won the Pac-10’s player of the year award yesterday, the second consecutive year a Stanford player has won the award.

Press captained Stanford to an undefeated 17-0-2 record, including a 9-0-0 record in conference play. She led the nation in goals with 23, and also had seven assists for Stanford. Press will end her Stanford career in possession of a number of all-time school records, including goals (68) and assists (40). She is also a finalist for the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award and a two-time All-Pac-10 selection.

Cardinal head coach Paul Ratcliffe was also named Pac-10 coach of the year for the third consecutive season. This season, Ratcliffe guided Stanford to its second consecutive undefeated regular season and No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Four Stanford players were named to the All-Pac-10 first team: Press, junior midfielder Teresa Noyola, sophomore defender Rachel Quon and junior forward Lindsay Taylor. Two sophomores, midfielder Mariah Nogueira and defender Courtney Verloo, were named to the second team, and goalkeeper Emily Oliver was named to the all-freshman team.

All of the honors were decided by a vote of the conference’s coaches.

Stanford will host the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium. The Cardinal’s first match is on Friday against Sacramento State, with kickoff scheduled for 7 p.m.

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.