Emerging scientists win federal award

President Obama recognized three Stanford scientists on Friday along with 82 other scientists and engineers receiving the Presidential Early Career Awards.

Gianluca Iaccarino, an assistant professor of mechanical engineering, was nominated for the award by the U.S. Department of Energy. His current research includes work on urban environment modeling, according to his website.

Dominique Bergmann, who conducts biology research as an assistant professor, was nominated by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).

Joseph Wu, an associate professor of medicine and radiology, was also nominated by NIH and HHS. His lab studies stem cells.

Federal departments and agencies award “early-career” researchers whose work advances the organizations’ goals and contributes to the economy. Each winner receives a grant for up to five years.

“Science and technology have long been at the core of America’s economic strength and global leadership,” President Obama said in a statement.  “I am confident that these individuals, who have shown such tremendous promise so early in their careers, will go on to make breakthroughs and discoveries that will continue to move our nation forward in the years ahead.”

— Elizabeth Titus