Treasury secretary criticizes Chinese exchange-rate policy

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner was in Palo Alto Monday with a simple message for Silicon Valley: Washington has more work to do to repair the U.S. economy, and it is in the process of doing it.

But the direction of the 49-year-old’s Q&A session at the Commonwealth Club of California was quickly pulled away from his defense of the administration’s economic policy toward the more salient issue of global trade, specifically China’s alleged manipulation of its currency to gain export advantages.

The value of the Chinese yuan is a hot-button issue in Washington, where the Treasury Department announced Friday it was delaying a scheduled report on China’s exchange-rate policies. Geithner said his department is holding the report until after the Group of 20 finance ministers meets next month in South Korea, where U.S. delegates hope to mobilize support behind a set of improvements to China’s currency practices.

“How much do you feel the Chinese currency is undervalued today?” moderator Michael Moritz, a partner at Menlo Park-based Sequoia Capital, flatly asked Geithner on Monday.

The Treasury secretary, who spent most of his childhood abroad, maintained his traditionally aggressive stance toward the world’s largest country, digging into China’s “unfair” and “damaging” policies.

“By almost any measure, it [the yuan] is significantly undervalued, more so than is true of any major significant emerging market currency,” Geithner said. “It’s not tenable for China long-term, and it’s unfair to all of China’s trading partners, America and others. It just creates a playing field that’s off-balance.”

He added: “It’s very damaging to what’s very important to everyone: the sense that we operate in a world where people play by a set of consistent rules of the game.”

Geithner noted that the yuan rose about 20 percent in value between 2005 and 2008 and three percent in recent months. “We want to see that process continue,” he said.

“And how far would you like to see it go?” Moritz asked.

Geithner issued a one-word response: “Higher.”

In California

Moritz, a former director at Google, PayPal and Yahoo, also indulged Monday’s Silicon Valley audience by taking the conversation with the Treasury secretary to state and local economic challenges.

Referencing cities like Vallejo, Calif., which filed for bankruptcy in 2008, Moritz said the crisis many people see looming “right in front of the windshield” will come from mounting financial obligations that are encumbering state and local governments. A domino effect of city bankruptcies, Moritz said, could be more disruptive than the subprime mortgage crisis.

“It’s going to take quite a bit of time still for states to get back to the point where they feel they know how to finance the basic needs that only governments can meet,” Geithner said. “The Recovery Act reduced local risk…but it didn’t fill the hole completely. We’ve found it actually quite hard.”

The solution is not to depend on Washington, Geithner said, but to build political consensus locally about how limited resources should be allocated. “It’s not a financial challenge; it’s a political choice,” he said.

During the course of the hour-long session, Geithner, a father of two, including Elise Geithner ‘13, continually referred back to “educating our children” as one his own personal priorities for state and local governments.

One hope for Geithner is infrastructure development. Asked whether California’s proposed high-speed rail system, which would require a sizable chunk of its proposed $40 billion-plus cost from Washington, would affect the nation’s unemployment rate, Geithner said it would only put more people to work.

“Investment in public infrastructure, in transportation, is a good investment,” he said. “Our government doesn’t do it perfectly, but it’s a very good strategy…and it has the benefit of getting some of the people hardest hit by the recession back to work more quickly.”

About Devin Banerjee

Devin Banerjee was president and editor in chief of Volume 236 of The Stanford Daily, serving from June 2009 to January 2010. He joined The Daily's staff in September 2007. Contact him at devin.banerjee@stanfordalumni.org or follow him on Twitter @devinbanerjee.
  • Washington ‘repairing’ the economy??

This guy is clueless.

• casualpromdresses

Odd colors might pose a problem when trying to find matching accessories. You have to provide your own air travel pay the taxes due ($Jump Prom Dresses/day) on the giveaway, but then say hello to Hawaii.Following a whole lot health care continues to be placed into picking out that will once-in-a-lifetime attire, it is essential to preserve them appropriately following big day has passed.It is all about looking wonderful and chic in the dance floor and looking beautiful to your date.Internet shopping for plus size ladies is the best option.

By limiting the amount of time that the shoes are in contact with the dye, you can lighten the end result of the dyeing process.Of course, the premise is that you should make sure the shade you are interested in can go well with your skin tone.The most prominent silhouette in this seasons range of elegant wedding gowns is the fit-to-flare, a cut that is flattering for most figures.You need to look different and stylish with your perfect dresses on.Closed-toe pumps, ankle boots, and similar shoes can be worn in the winter.Whilst you’re at it, scout for bridesmaids dresses affordable.

A trained professional can help you find great ideas on how to add color to your white wedding dress.It typically ends right at the bust line.Some examples of chic accidental accoutrements should afford some ablaze on this matter.Shoes are far too dirty to keep within the exact same box as the beautiful wedding dress, plus your bridal diamond jewelry is just too big important to pack it out and not just take advantage of.India, being the progressive economy has caught up really fast with this aspect.Girls can effortlessly come across their perfect dress on the web thanks to search bars of on-line dress shops. The materials used to make a aline strapless kneelength elastic woven satin junior beidesmaid dresses cocktail dresses 108599 gown are one of the major factors in determining the cut and the drape of the dress.The knee length hem is accentuated with additional draped details and the silk gauze fabric will hang beautiful from your sleek body. Making the gown dangling up is not the ideal extended answer, for the reason that excess weight of the garment will invariably make the apparel for aline one shoulder kneelength elastic woven satin junior beidesmaid dresses cocktail dresses 108629 to fully stretch.This also means that there are a lot more designs available that may match the fashion taste of a variety of people.- Monarch cathedral length – over 120.It is appropriate not to abrasion a tie, as that makes the attending actual formal.There are numerous distinct methods to match all body types.With Ibanez electric guitar just like GRG170DX Electric Guitar, less bucks doesn’t mean less looks or less tone.Just like with the length and cut of your gown, it is crucial for you to choose the neckline of your dress based on the formality of your event.Elegant And Latest Dresses Are Now Affordable Celebrations are those special moments in your lives when you would want everything to be perfect and nice.The low back and wide strap detail is seductive without being too sexy.In certain weddings, the bride may prefer to have more than one bridesmaid or a maid and a matron of honor.When you’re in causal environment, remember not to dress like a bum just because there are people you know.Only once your shoes pair well with your dress, can you boast about complete apparel.

Instantly connect to what’s most important to you:twitter.com