Etched with India

Etched with India
BRYANT TAN/The Stanford Daily

In front of the Stanford bookstore, Raj and Narinder Singh sell handmade jewelry, scarves and ornaments using materials and themes from India

Outside the Stanford bookstore every Monday and Tuesday, Raj and Narinder Singh bring a little bit of India to Stanford.

In an unassuming stall reminiscent of the copious bazaars of Southeast Asia, they arrange jewelry, scarves and traditional ornaments.

For the past five years, twice a week from May to December, Raj and Narinder have been giving Stanford students the opportunity to shop for authentic ethnic jewelry and trinkets. Why the Stanford bookstore?

The bookstore staff “is so kind and cooperative, and it’s a beautiful place,” Narinder said.

Etched with India
BRYANT TAN/The Stanford Daily

The Singhs, an elderly Indian couple, moved to the United States in 1992 when their grandson, Jujhaar Singh ‘14, was born. Through “trial and error,” Narinder said, she taught herself how to make Indian jewelry and handicrafts, and began to show her work at art fairs and festivals, such as the annual Jewish Cultural Street Festival on California Avenue this month.

“I embroider, I crochet, I do a lot of work . . . it gives me satisfaction,” Narinder said.

Using sterling silver, semiprecious stones, wood, steel and copper, she creates an array of pieces, from traditional bridal jewelry to costume wear.

“I started with silver only, then I diversified,” she said. “I like to follow the trends of what people like. Sometimes I remake pieces.”

Raj and Narinder call their business Thera Thera, in reference to the Sikh legend of Guru Nanak. It is said that the Guru was a storekeeper at a state granary, where one day he was weighing grain packages and counting. Upon reaching the thirteenth grain package, the Guru went into a trance and began repeating, “Thera, thera . . . “ Thera in Punjabi means both the number 13 and the word “thine” in a spiritual context.

“What it means is that whatever we make here is yours, as in God’s,” Narinder said. “Guru Nanak kept on saying, ‘Thera, thera’ and distributing [the grain], but it never finished.”

Raj and Narinder combine pieces made by Narinder, pieces imported from India, and select Korean and Native American pieces in a single, multicultural display. The variety is evident: a gold Indian bridal headpiece is juxtaposed against brightly colored plastic bracelets. A wooden bangle engraved with the symbol for “Om,” a traditional meditation chant, sits next to a necklace made with garnets and green turquoise.

While jewelry dominates the stall, scarves and Indian handicrafts make appearances. A legion of small, meticulously painted elephant ornaments sit next to wooden carvings.

“We have turtles, owls and Indian deities, traditional Indian ornaments,” Raj said.

Recognizing that some students are on tight budgets, Narinder and Raj set the prices accordingly.

“We try to keep rates low so it is affordable for students,” Narinder said. Indeed, is it easy for the bright colors and reasonable prices of the pieces on display to lure passing students.

Raj and Narinder love interacting with Stanford students and showcasing their work and culture. Happy to answer to the curious gaze of passing students, they emphasized that it’s the people on campus who keep them coming back every week.

Stanford “is the best place on earth, and these are the best people on earth,” Narinder said.

Marwa Farag is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily. Previously, she was the managing editor of news, managing editor of the former features section, a features desk editor and a news writer.