Review: ‘Let Me In’

Review: 'Let Me In'
Abby (Chloe Moretz) and Owen (Kodi Smit-McPhee) in Overture Films' "Let Me In." (Courtesy of Overture Films)

Review: 'Let Me In'Based on the modern Swedish classic “Let The Right One In,” “Let Me In” is Hollywood’s response to vampire-mania, following in the footsteps of “Twilight” and “True Blood.” However, it has a much more thoughtful message to bring and is certainly a different take on the life of a vampire. This part-romance, part-horror, part-character study doesn’t show the twinkling, Edward Cullen-side of vampires. It instead gives the audience the dark, desperate and gruesome aspects that remind us why vampires are haunting in a deliberate and bloody drama that just so happens to have a vampire.

This relationship between two seemingly normal 12-year-olds unfolds in the wintry suburbs of New Mexico, starting when Owen (Kodi Smit-McPhee) gets bullied by the bigger kids at school. Owen’s luck begins to change when one night, a girl his age and her father move in next door. But as Owen befriends Abby (Chloe Moretz), she tells him that they cannot be friends.

Owen, dejected, returns to his negligent mother, unaware that Abby’s distance is due to her unique pastimes: she walks barefoot through the snow, her breath doesn’t show in the cold and when Owen isn’t around, she terrifyingly sucks the blood dry of whomever she can lure in. When Abby learns that Owen needs protection, though, the two become friends. Abby is aided by a father figure played by Richard Jenkins (“The Visitor”), who attempts to help his daughter obtain blood to fuel her vampire life – to varying degrees of success.

Everything is intensified when a policeman (Elias Koteas) begins to investigate what he assumes to be the murders of a cult-following serial killer. Guess again. The sensitive and innocent bond that develops between Owen and Abby is marked by his insecurity and her secrets. As the plot unfolds, Abby’s existence begins to unravel, and the audience follows this pensive drama to its chilling conclusion.

This vampire tale, however, isn’t always a thriller and certainly won’t give that pre-Halloween fix that horror fans crave this time of the year. Expecting a scream-worthy, pop-out-of-the-closet thrill-fest will surely lead to a let down, not to say that there aren’t a few great moments. Instead, director Matt Reeves follows the original and takes a closer look at the relationship between vampire and human and how the two can benefit from the other. Some of the most intense moments are traditional horror movie moments, such as when the policeman shows up at Abby’s house. Yet, these all just work toward a greater, more psychological end.

Moretz nails the creepy, dark and possibly vulnerable vampire. While she’s more famous for her spunky roles in “(500) Days of Summer” and “Kick-Ass,” she proves she’s more than a one-note child actress in “Let Me In.” Smit-McPhee is also formidable, if only a little more wooden. But the chemistry between these two pre-adolescents is clearly there and makes for a very believable story of friendship.

The music stands out as some of the most intense horror music in recent history, with screechier violins, deeper timpani and Michael Giacchino’s (also composer for “Lost” and “Up”) unique and exciting flair. This thrilling music only adds to the excitement that comes with the gruesome, but ultimately sweet, ending. However, it is often only accompanying thoughtful, character-developing dialogue. And really, around Halloween, who wants that?