BRIEF: Stanford settles for sixth in SoCal

The No. 4 Stanford men’s water polo team split its four games at the SoCal Tournament, which included a 13-9 loss in the fifth-place contest against rival Cal, this past weekend and left the tournament at UCLA as the sixth-place finisher.

Despite the team's mixed results over the weekend, junior driver Jacob Smith, above had a strong individual tournament. He scored five goals in Stanford's 9-8 victory over No. 8 Long Beach State on Sunday. (Stanford Daily File Photo)
The Cardinal (6-4) opened the weekend with a 22-12 rout of No. 13 UC-San Diego on Saturday. Four Cardinal players tallied three goals each and redshirt junior goalkeeper Brian Pingree made nine saves in the victory.

Stanford would not be so fortunate in its second game of the day, falling to No. 6 UC-Santa Barbara 12-10. After taking a one-goal lead into the second period, the Cardinal allowed six Gaucho goals in the second frame, and UC-Santa Barbara never looked back. Senior utility Jeffrey Schwimer and junior utility Peter Sefton each notched three goals in the loss.

Resigned to the consolation bracket, Stanford bounced back with a 9-8 win over No. 8 Long Beach State in its first game Sunday. The contest was tight throughout, and Stanford got a huge day from junior driver Jacob Smith, who hammered home five goals. Pingree had 11 saves in net.

The win put the Cardinal in the fifth-place game against rival Cal. The third-ranked Golden Bears blitzed the Cardinal early in the match and led 8-2 at halftime. The Cardinal was never able to recover, falling 13-9, despite outscoring Cal 5-2 in the final period. Sefton had four goals in the loss.

The champion of the tournament was No. 1 USC, who took down the tournament’s host, UCLA, in the championship game, 9-8.

Stanford will now get ready to host the top-ranked Trojans, who visit the Farm on Saturday.