Stanford Store to move to new location in January

Sept. 14, 2010, 2:04 a.m.
The Stanford Store is set to move to the former ticket office location. (JIN ZHU/The Stanford Daily)

The Stanford Store is known for offering some of the lowest prices on University apparel — that is, for the students who can find it. Now, the store is planning on moving this quarter from its current location behind Tresidder Union in an attempt to increase visibility.

Low foot traffic is the impetus for the store’s pending move from its present site to the former location of the Stanford Ticket Office, said store manager Olivia Witter ’13. The move comes at the behest of many in Stanford Student Enterprises (SSE), of which the store is a division.

“People involved in SSE, including managers and CEOs, suggested year after year that the store move,” said Witter. “Not many people know how to get there, and it’s confusing to try to direct people.”

The store is a student-run business whose revenue goes to ASSU. The Stanford Department of Project Management is overseeing the move, which was approved at the end of May.

Building and Grounds Maintenance Manager Kathleen Baldwin said the move of the store constitutes a separate project from the bathroom renovations currently underway in the walkway between the former ticket office and Jamba Juice.

“The maintenance fund is covering the renovation of the bathrooms, while the ASSU is funding the Student Store move,” Baldwin said.

The department designed the layout of the new store site and is currently working with contractors to obtain Santa Clara County building permits. It estimates the cost of the move will be around $297,000. According to Project Manager Kelly Rohlfs, the plans are the result of a close collaboration with SSE.

“SSE has been involved in every step of the design, from the big picture layout of the space to choosing the finishing details,” Rohlfs wrote in an e-mail to The Daily. “They have even suggested adding a new door between the store and the back patio of Tresidder, which will increase access and exposure of the store.”

Construction on the new site is set to begin in October and be completed before winter break. The current store will remain open in the interim. The student management team plans to move the merchandise during break. Raj Bhandari M.S. ’10, the CEO of SSE, said students can expect a whole new look when the store reopens its doors.

“The store gives us an opportunity to rethink what we offer and how we offer it,” Bhandari said. “It will feature pivoting shelves and increased space for merchandise.”

Witter echoed Bhandari’s enthusiasm for the proposed modern aesthetic, noting that the focus will be on the clothes themselves.

“It’ll be a very whitewash store, the way the Gap looks,” Witter said. “We want to make the clothes pop against the white background.”

Students can view floor plans for the store in the SSE offices on the first floor of Old Union.

The store will continue its traditional 10 percent discount for students, as well as its ongoing hiring program for sales associates and student managers, Bhandari and Witter said.