The Daily brief: Aug. 24, 2010

The Daily brief: Aug. 24, 2010
(BECCA del MONTE/The Stanford Daily)

TABLO SPEAKS | Daniel Lee ’02, aka rapper “Tablo” of the Asian hip-hop group Epik High, is once again trying to prove that yes, he did indeed attend Stanford. Internet rumors have swirled that Lee lied about his English degree from the farm. Tom Black, University Registrar, has had to deal with the Internet naysayers, and says “the ignorant mob is just spewing poison for no reason.”

STEM CELLS | Dr. Irving L. Weissman, director of the Stanford Institute for Stem Cell Biology, said that a federal district judge’s ruling yesterday to halt Obama’s expansion of stem cell research was “devastating to the hopes of researchers and patients who have been waiting so long for the promise of stem cell therapies.” Chief Judge Royce C. Lamberth blocked President Obama’s 2009 order to move forward with stem cell research, arguing it violated a federal ban on the destruction of embryos.

BIG GREEN | KQED takes a look at all of the green initiatives on the Farm. Stanford embarked on a $250 million project to slash Stanford’s greenhouse gas emissions to 20 percent below 1990 levels within 10 years.

THAT’S GECKO | Mechanical engineer Mark Cutkosky looks to gecko toes to create a robot. His Stickybot can climb smooth surfaces with a design based on the lovable lizard’s toes.

WHO NOSE? | Scientists think that an artificial nose made of sensors may be able to deliver more information than normal human noses. Smells like a winner.

THANKS, GENES  | “Everything we’ve been taught about evolution would indicate that we should be evolving away from developing it,” says Atul Butte, MD, PhD, assistant professor of pediatric cancer biology and a bioinformatics expert. Her research found that evolution may have pushed humans toward a greater risk of Type-1 Diabetes.