Chris Chan M.S. ’08 dies at Yosemite

July 15, 2010, 12:40 a.m.

Correction: The Daily initially printed Ms. Chan’s age as 33. She was 31. The Daily regrets the error.

Christina “Chris” Chan M.S. ‘08, a doctoral student in political science at Stanford, died in a climbing accident at Yosemite National Park on Friday. She was 31.

The accident occurred while Chan was undertaking a free-solo climb, nearby Jim Castelaz ’08, who witnessed her fall several hundred feet. Chan, Castelaz and two other students had intended to climb Mount Russell on Saturday.

In e-mails to The Daily, friends, family and academic advisers mourning Chan’s death described her as a young woman of modesty and humanity who also possessed an uncommon drive and dedication in pursuit of new endeavors.

Chris Chan M.S. '08 dies at Yosemite
Courtesy of Clint Cummins

“I mostly saw the academic side,” said her adviser Jean Oi, a professor of Chinese politics, “but her concern and generosity toward others always came through. She always had a great smile and was a person who put others first. She was also modest, sometimes overly so, about her many talents.”

Those talents were prodigious, befitting her status, as Oi put it, of a “rising academic talent.” Prior to her death, Chan had spent a decade and a half pursuing a variety of interests in higher education, unified by her willingness to try new things and a consistent ability to succeed at any new venture.

Chan attended Harvard University as an undergraduate, finishing in three years, cum laude, with a degree in biochemical sciences. She worked in investment banking after graduation before moving to San Diego in 2002. There, she took up a course of study in international relations at UC-San Diego, earning a master’s in 2005. She subsequently traveled to Stanford, where she earned a master’s in civil and environmental engineering in 2008 and went on to pursue doctoral work in political science. She also spent time working in the environmental policy sector.

By June, Chan had completed an intensive Chinese language program in Beijing, capping off her latest academic pursuit. According to Oi, Chan had finished all of her course work, and was ready to begin her dissertation, with the subject of “Enterprise Ownership and the Adoption of Environmental Technologies in China.” Oi said that the project required a rare mix of abilities.

“This is a difficult subject that required not only deep knowledge about China’s political economy, but also substantial technical background,” Oi said. “Chris was the ideal student to take on this challenge — she is one of the few who had the science and technical knowledge.”

“Chris had tremendous academic talent and I think she would have done an outstanding dissertation,” she added.

Chan also brought a similar dedication outside the classroom, including in her athletic pursuits. According to her brother Peter, Chan developed her passion for climbing around the time she moved to San Diego.

While at Stanford, Castelaz said Chan was a “prolific climber,” and she twice served as the president of the Stanford Alpine Club. Both Peter Chan and Castelaz ascribed part of her motivation for continuing to study at Stanford to a desire to stay close to California climbing destinations.

“I think one reason she wanted to go to graduate school was to have the summers off to climb,” Castelaz said.

Chan had pursued climbing with her characteristic intensity.

“She probably did more climbs in her time than most climbers do in their lifetime,” Castelaz said.

Castelaz was adamant that Chan pursued climbing with full knowledge of its inherent risks.

“Climbing is always dangerous — any time you do that you’re taking a risk,” he said. “Chris knew those dangers as well as anyone.”

“Chris would not apologize for climbing, even now. She knew the risks, like all other climbers,” he added.

Castelaz felt that Chan’s death came while doing what she was passionate about, and had loved to do.

“The first half of the day was really special, and I’m happy for that,” he said.

Peter Chan said that his sister’s interest in climbing was in keeping with her personality.

“Christina was always fearless, never afraid to try new things,” he said. “She always pushed herself and held herself to a very high standard, insisting on — and succeeding in, more than she gave herself credit for — excelling in everything she did. She was also extremely humble, never resting on her laurels and always trying to figure out how to do things better.”

Barbara Walter, Chan’s advisor and mentor while she was a master’s student at UC-San Diego, kept in touch with Chan after she left the university, and said that her drive to pursue new interests had remained with her until the end.

“I knew her interest was shifting away from political science — to what I’m not 100 percent sure,” Walter said. “I also knew that she was becoming increasingly involved and passionate about climbing, although I did not know to what extent. In retrospect, I don’t think she was going to make her career in political science, and that was fine with me. Whatever made her happy.”

Chan’s brother Peter also felt that she contributed in many ways.

“She was honest and very direct, never afraid to let you know what she thought,” he said. “Most of all, she was an incredibly kind and generous person, always willing to help others, to share her experience or belongings and to try to make the world a better place.”

One modest measure of the impact Chan had on those who knew her is reflected in a memorial Facebook page, with almost 600 members. Friends and family have gathered there to post their remembrances of Chan. A full memorial service for Chan is scheduled for Sunday, July 18 at 1 p.m. at Memorial Church, according to the page’s organizers.

Ellen Huet contributed to this report.