The Daily brief: July 12, 2010

By and
July 12, 2010, 7:59 p.m.

New trustees | The Stanford board of trustees elected four new members to its ranks, the University said today. One runs a biopharmaceutical company, another a medical facilities company; a third is the chairman of a large Mexican conglomerate, the fourth a Morgan Stanley advisory director. All hold Stanford degrees. The new trustees begin their five-year terms in September.

Hold the gold watch | Professors at Stanford won’t retire — or so it seems, reports the Mercury News. More than half of Stanford faculty are older than 50; just a third are younger than 45. The good life at Stanford keeps older professors here, as does a 1994 federal law banning mandatory retirement at universities. But this cramps the number of spots available for younger scholars, prompting Stanford to offer incentives to retire. “Retired faculty can keep their campus home, Faculty Club membership and free campus parking,” writes Lisa Krieger. “Other benefits include a ‘Tuition Grant’ program for children, $500 toward financial planning expenses and use of libraries, gyms and the glittering Avery Aquatic Center. They’re eligible to act as principal investigators on research. They can join a vibrant community of emeritus faculty, which the university financially supports.” But even that hasn’t sufficed — so Stanford has updated its $7-$10 million retirement incentive program twice since 2004.

Typology | Students taking Genetics 210 this summer have the option of studying their own genotypes, reports Kathryn Roethel M.A. ’10 for the San Francisco Chronicle. Personal genetic analysis is a growing part of the medical field, but in the classroom it can prove tricky if a student discovers he or she is susceptible to a serious disease.

Women’s volleyball | Three incoming freshmen helped the U.S. women’s junior national team to a gold medal at the NORCECA Women’s Junior (U-20) Continental Championship on Saturday.

Men’s swimming | Stanford junior Bobby Bollier finished third at the Los Angeles Grand Prix on Friday.

Football | Andrew Luck “will probably stay in school for sure.” SB Nation analyzes. Also: “why USC really wants to beat Stanford. Really, really, really.”

Overheard | “It was kind of just a little secret of Harvard and Stanford 10 years ago, but it’s not a secret anymore.” — Investor John Fowler on search funds. “Roughly 50 search funds were launched in the last three years,” writes The Wall Street Journal, “with each consecutive year marking a new high, according to a study to be released Monday by Stanford University, where the idea was born almost 30 years ago.”

Treasure Island | The San Francisco music festival today announced its Oct. 16-17 lineup.

Daily alumni | Andrea Fuller ’09, former managing editor of news, won the David W. Miller Award for Young Journalists from The Chronicle of Higher Education, where she recently completed a spring internship. James Hohmann ’09, former editor in chief, marks six months at Politico.

Follow The Daily | Twitter, Facebook, daily e-mail digest.