“Despicable Me”…Not as despicable as I expected

July 8, 2010, 11:37 a.m.

Some of the most popular films so far this year have been 3-D animated kids movies. Flicks like “How To Train Your Dragon,” “Shrek: The Final Chapter” and “Toy Story 3” have all dominated in the box office, with families turning out in droves for original and light humor. Universal’s latest foray into this genre certainly does not disappoint. Conceived by a Spanish animator and created in a French animation house, this Hollywood blockbuster has hints of European flair that set it apart from all of the rest.

“Despicable Me”...Not as despicable as I expected

“Despicable Me” tells the story of the nefarious Russian villain Gru (Steve Carell) who has a laughably thick accent and a very distinct, hooked nose. After a neglected childhood, Gru has grown into one of the world’s most formidable villains. With a crotchety mad scientist assistant, Dr. Nefario (Russell Brand), and thousands of little yellow minions (somewhat reminiscent of the alien toys from the “Toy Story” series), Gru has positioned himself to commit the dastardliest crime in villain history – to steal the moon.

His plans are quickly thwarted and hijacked by the new villain in town, Vector (Jason Segel). Dressed in a hilarious orange tracksuit, with a fanny pack slung around his hips, Vector is the definition of “nerd,” wielding sleek guns that shoot squid and piranhas. However, thanks to the support of the Bank of Evil (formerly the Lehman Brothers), Vector has everything he needs to become the most legendary villain of all time.

In order to defy all odds and regain his reputation, Gru adopts three little girls to infiltrate Vector’s fortress. It is here when the movie deviates from slightly stale, dark humor to a movie with heart. Gru is steadily softened by his daughters – his Grinch-like exterior is stripped away as he takes them to an amusement park, helps them prepare for their ballet recital and teaches them how to drink tea. It quickly becomes apparent that Gru’s priorities may have started to change – would he rather steal the moon and become the greatest villain of all time or instead strive for being the best dad of all time?

With a musical score that toes the line between hip-hop and James Bond (composed by Pharrell Williams), an original screenplay and a bevy of A-list character actors, it is easy to see why “Despicable Me” will be a hit both with the critics and in the box office. However, that doesn’t mean that the movie is perfect. At many points, “Despicable Me” fails where Pixar thrives. Regularly, the humor is directed at a much younger audience, which falls flat with the many adults present. The movie was also made with a much smaller budget than its Pixar/Dreamworks counterparts, and this shows. However, that is not necessarily a bad thing, with the campy animation lending a fresh take to the 3-D element and giving the whole movie a comic book feel.

“Despicable Me” achieves what it should – it makes the audience laugh, crafts an original storyline, showcases acting talents and at many times warms your heart. However, it’s no game changer, like most Pixar flicks. In the end, Gru is still playing second fiddle.

8/10