The Daily brief: June 24, 2010

By and

Eviction | Angie Cicero, who was fighting eviction from a Union City house willed to Stanford, reportedly struck a deal last week to move out in return for a six-figure settlement that will cover her living expenses for five to 10 years. The settlement is expected to come from the estate of the house’s late landlord.

Arizona | Professor H. Samy Alim M.A. ’02 Ph.D. ’03 has garnered 81 faculty signatures in a statement (PDF) opposing Arizona’s English-language education policy. The statement calls for policies supported by educational and linguistic research. “Arizona’s new policy does not meet these criteria,” it said.

Overheard | “What the DMCA has done more than anything is that it has cleared the way for people to create innovative technologies like YouTube, and to some extent like Facebook.” — Anthony Falzone, Stanford Law School lecturer, on ruling in Google-Viacom case.

Stem cells | $5.6 million is headed Stanford’s way for stem cell research, thanks to Prop. 71. Four researchers from the Stanford School of Medicine are the recipients of three-year grants from the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, which handed out $25 million this week for research on stem cells and immune system rejection.

Follow The Daily | Twitter, Facebook, daily e-mail digest.