Cardona, Wharton are execs; SOCC takes 10 Senate seats

Angelina Cardona ’11 and Kelsei Wharton ’12 have been elected as next year’s ASSU executives, beating graduate students Ryan Peacock and Jonathan Bakke 2,099 votes to 1,554 in the final round of voting. The two will take office April 24.

Ten Undergraduate Senate candidates endorsed by the Students of Color Coalition won seats. They are: Madeline Hawes ’13, Deepa Kannappan ’13, incumbent Michael Cruz ’12, Juany Torres ’13, Ben Jensen ’12, Daniel Khalessi ’12, Rafael Vasquez ’12, Kamil Saeid ’13, Robin Perani ’13 and Pat Bruny ’13, who with 797 votes was the lowest vote-getter of the race.

ASSU executives-elect Kelsei Wharton, left, and Angelina Cardona. (ALEX YU/Staff Photographer)

Garnering more votes than Bruny were SUN-endorsed freshmen Will Seaton (also a Daily writer), Steward Macgregor-Dennis, Rebecca Sachs and Carolyn Simmons.

The final senator-elect, with 815 votes, is Khaled Alshawi ’13.

The Sophs 4 More slate of freshmen Steven Greitzer, Shane Hedge, Maxine Litre and Misha Nasro were elected sophomore class presidents.

Failing to get the minimum 1,028 votes required for special fees approval were The Stanford Progressive, Stanford Students in Entertainment, Stanford Cardinal Broadcasting Network, the Stanford Chapparal, the Society for International Affairs at Stanford and the Stanford Journal of International Relations. All other special fees groups were approved.

Voter turnout increased by 3.2 percent to 5,804 total votes, with gains mostly coming from a 7.3 percent rise in graduate student voting. Undergraduate voting remained mostly flat and freshmen and sophomores continued to vote in large numbers. Turnout overall, however, still fell short of the record-breaking turnout in 2008.

Elections Commissioner Quinn Slack ’11 said 162 coterminal students voted, and could cast votes for both graduate and undergraduate ballot items. In past years, coterms had to choose whether to vote as undergraduates or graduates.

The presence of a graduate slate for executive failed to galvanize the graduate population as much as some were predicting, with grad voting showing only a slight increase to 1,914 from last year’s 1,783. There are more than 8,000 graduate students at Stanford.

— Elizabeth Titus and Marisa Landicho