After Chile quake, BOSP reviews prep

Protocol ‘worked pretty well,’ but reaching parents was difficult

When a magnitude 8.8 earthquake hit Chile on Feb. 27, the staff of the Bing Overseas Study Program (BOSP) in Santiago, where 21 Stanford students were studying, put their emergency protocols into action.

Now, they’re assessing how it went.

“In some ways it’s an opportunity, because we were so lucky that all the students were okay — but it tested the system,” said Irene Kennedy, executive director of BOSP. “I think [the emergency procedures] worked pretty well.”

After Chile quake, BOSP reviews prep
Stanford students in the Bing Overseas Studies Program in Santiago volunteer in a clean-up effort after last weekend's magnitude 8.8 earthquake. One student was injured Feb. 27. (Courtesy of Aidan Dunn)

One student, Lyla Johnston ’11, was injured when she jumped from the third-floor balcony of her host family’s house. She has since returned to the United States for medical care, she told The Daily.

Staff followed protocols after the quake, which happened early on a Saturday morning. Using a phone tree, they contacted all 21 students in the program, some of whom were in Santiago and some of whom were traveling for the weekend. The students had instructions to call the office in an emergency; in other cities where BOSP operates, there are assembly points outside Stanford’s facilities.

The Stanford campus office attempts to remain constantly in contact with BOSP staff on the ground during emergencies, whether by phone, e-mail or, if telecommunication services are down, satellite phone.

Stanford has a contract with International SOS, a health care company, to evacuate students in case of medical emergencies or natural disasters, Kennedy said. The instances calling for that service are few and far between.

Staff in Santiago did encounter challenges contacting the parents of the students there and answering other people’s questions with limited information about the situation on the ground, according to Kennedy.

The BOSP office is set this week to debrief and examine their handling of the earthquake while also planning for the Santiago program next quarter, which will remain open. The only change will be travel restrictions to the Concepción area, where the bulk of quake damage occurred.

Sophomores Zach Ming and Sarah Hennessy, who were both accepted to the Santiago program, said they’re still planning to go next quarter.

“I’m not that worried about safety — they’re prepared for it,” said Hennessy, who is majoring in human biology with a concentration in disaster relief. Her parents “were definitely concerned about it at first, but they were never going to tell me I couldn’t go…they trust Stanford’s judgment.”

Ming agreed, saying his parents weren’t too worried after Stanford confirmed the program would be open. He did voice some concern for safety, but not enough to dissuade him from going.

“I wouldn’t say I’m not concerned about safety,” he said. “I think the earthquake is going to change the nature of the trip…I’m still excited.”

Kennedy said a few students are planning to drop out of the program. Students enrolled have until Friday to withdraw without penalty.

But, Ming said, “I think it’s almost more desirable to go down. This is going to make it even unique among overseas opportunities.”

Excepting the travel restrictions, the Santiago program will continue as normal, with students set to arrive March 27-28 at home stays.