ASSU election: vote for whom?

By and

10:06 p.m. | Update: Election Commissioner Quinn Slack ’11 tells us that Basmati Raas also has enough paper petition signatures to get onto the ballot, pending verification.

Also, we overlooked the Stanford Chaparral in our initial report; the publication had 95 online signatures at closing and was seeking signatures from 15 percent of, or 1,088 total, undergraduates. The Chaparral appeared on today’s Senate Appropriations Committee agenda, apparently to discuss a dispute over the committee’s approval of the group’s application.

7:47 p.m. | For hopeful ASSU candidates and special fees groups, today’s 4 p.m. petition deadline is separating those who will move on to the April 8 ballot — but not before two weeks of campaigning next quarter — and those whose plans, for lack of enough valid student signatures, end here.

Quinn Slack ’11, the ASSU elections commissioner, has the preliminary closing numbers; his team will spend the weekend verifying signatures and announce the final list of successful candidates Tuesday at 4 p.m.

Slack pointed out that his numbers only represent signatures gathered electronically; some candidates and groups have collected more signatures on paper, which the commission will also verify.

Executive | Two ASSU executive slates have already been validated by the commission: graduate students Ryan Peacock and Jonathan Bakke, who had 224 signatures at closing; and juniors Thom Scher and Stephanie Werner, 208.

Three more slates each had  the requisite 200 signatures at closing, but await verification: Angelina Cardona ’11 and Kelsei Wharton ’12, who had 339 signatures at closing; Austin Guzman ’11 and Patrick Mahoney ’11, 219; and Billy Kemper ’11 and Josh Meisel ’12, 207.

A sixth slate, Katherine Heflin ’11 and Daniel Leifer ’10, had 187 electronic signatures at closing, but Slack said they had signatures on paper “that should put them all over the required amount, assuming there are no issues.”

Special fees | Two student groups that petitioned to get a spot on the special fees ballot had been validated by Friday evening: SPOON, with 1,270 e-signatures, and the Society for International Affairs at Stanford, 687. SIAS also turned in a paper petition.

All groups’ petitions, which include budget and account statements, are still up at the Elections Commission Web site.

Slack said Friday evening that three groups had turned in paper petitions that should, along with electronic signatures, put them over the edge: the Stanford Band, with 1,135 e-signatures; Volunteers in Latin America, 784; and the Stanford African Students Association, 581.

Other special fees groups who appear to have successful petitioned include the following, who each sought signatures from 15 percent of, or 1,088 total, undergraduates (a figure determined by the size of the group’s request): the Sexual Health Peer Resource Center, with 1,155 signatures at closing; Stanford Mock Trial, 1,181; the Bridge Peer Counseling Center, 1,372; Green Living Council, 1,113; and The Stanford Daily, 1,213.

Basmati Raas had collected 515 e-signatures at closing, but paper signatures could still get the group onto the ballot.

Among groups seeking signatures from 10 percent of, or 725 total, undergraduate signatures, two appeared to reach that threshold Friday: Stanford Symphony Orchestra, with 778 e-signatures, and Students for a Sustainable Stanford, 794. Stanford Solar Car had 615 names online, but could get onto the ballot with enough additional paper signatures.

Sunday FLiCKS, seeking special fees from both undergraduates and graduates, needs 2,298 signatures, or 15 percent of the joint population, to get onto the ballot. Online, the group had collected 1,744 on Friday.

Two groups’ petitions were halted earlier in the petition process: Sigma Nu, a fraternity whose request for fees for Sunsplash, Moonsplash and a charity concert was ruled ineligible by the ASSU Constitutional Council; and the Student Services Division, which failed last week to get two-thirds approval by the Undergraduate Senate to seek special fees.

Undergraduate Senate | Nine candidates are, with Elections Commission approval in hand at closing time, headed to the April ballot: Juany Torres ’13, Khaled Alshawi ’13, Stewart Macgregor-Dennis ’13, Nikola Milanovic ’11 (also a Daily columnist), Ed Négiar ’13, Robin Perani ’13, Bennett Siegel ’13, Miles Unterreiner ’12 and Andrew Jang ’12.

Forty-one candidates’ petitions have yet to be validated, including the three incumbents who have thrown their hats in the ring: Dean Young ’11, Anton Zietsman ’12 and Michael Cruz ’12. Young had collected 55 online signatures by Friday; Zietsman, 66; and Cruz, 118. One hundred signatures are required.

Class presidents | It appears the Class of 2013 will vote among four slates for sophomore class presidents, each of which had collected more than the requisite 100 signatures by Friday. All slates remain to be validated.

This year’s Class of 2012 presidents return as the only slate for junior class presidents, with 181 signatures; Marie Caligiuri-de Jesus, Adrian Castillo, Taylor Goodspeed and Isabelle Wijangco picked up a fifth member for next year, Cody Sam.

The Class of 2011 also posted one slate for class presidents. With 122 signatures, current presidents Pamon Forouhar, Dante DiCicco and Mona Hadidi are joined by Molly Spaeth.

Graduate Student Council | Twelve graduate students have declared candidacy for the council; they do not have to petition and have until March 18 to join the race.

David Gobaud | The current ASSU president, a coterminal student in computer science who has said he does not know when he plans to graduate, posted a number of mock petitions while testing the election Web site, including one for himself for Undergraduate Senate and two for class president, which were titled “Bring It On!!!” and “Four More Years!!!!” Signatures for the latter two were in the single digits on Friday.