ASSU election: one day remains in petitioning period

For hopeful ASSU candidates and special fees groups, it’s now or never: petitions to get a spot on the April 8 ballot close today at 4 p.m.

Among executive slates, three pairs had reached the requisite 200 online student signatures by 10 p.m. on Thursday, but those signatures had not yet been verified by the Elections Commission. Kelsei Wharton ’12 and Angelina Cardona ’11 had 264 signatures; graduate students Ryan Peacock and Jonathan Bakke, 216; and Billy Kemper ’11 and Josh Meisel ’12, 201.

The petition of juniors Thom Scher and Stephanie Werner was verified on Wednesday.

Katherine Heflin ’11 and Daniel Leifer ’10 had 180 online signatures on Thursday night; Austin Guzman ’11 and Patrick Mahoney ’11, 164.

Elections Commissioner Quinn Slack ’11 said some slates had also been collecting signatures on paper, which would be verified after today’s deadline.

Forty-five prospective Undergraduate Senate candidates were still petitioning Thursday night for a chance to compete for 15 seats. Two more candidates, Juany Torres and Robin Perani ’13, had their petitions validated.

Ten candidates are attempting to throw their names in the ring for Graduate Student Council; none of their petitions have been validated yet.

Freshmen may have their pick of up to four class president slates for next year — all still petitioning Thursday — while one slate each is petitioning for the classes of 2011 and 2012.

-Elizabeth Titus