More candidates, signatures with four days left in ASSU petitions period

Signature and candidate counts are growing as four days remain in the petition period for the ASSU spring election.

Fifteen students groups had public petitions open on Monday night; each hopes to garner enough signatures to secure a spot on the Apr. 8 ballot.

The petition of Sigma Nu, one of the 15 groups, was ruled ineligible by the Election Commission on Sunday, but remains open in case the fraternity chooses to appeal the ruling or seek a joint bylaws amendment to allow the petition.

Of the remaining groups, 13 are seeking undergraduate special fees and must collect either 10 or 15 percent of undergraduates’ signatures — that’s between 725 and 1,088 signatures, according to the commission — by Friday at 4 p.m.

Sunday FLiCKS is requesting special fees from both undergraduates and graduates.

Signature counts for those groups ranged from 347 to 1,039 at press time on Monday.

The Daily is one of the groups petitioning.

Petitions for the four slates for ASSU Executive remained open on Monday.

Among petitions for Undergraduate Senate candidates, two hopefuls threw their hat in the ring Monday, bringing the prospective candidate count to 42, including three incumbents.

Nine petitions, up two from Monday, are open for prospective Graduate Student Council candidates, including three incumbents.

Campaigns are scheduled for the first two weeks of April for those groups and candidates who reach the signature threshold by Friday.

— Elizabeth Titus