W. Water Polo: Card cruises into conference season

Senior driver Kelly Eaton, number five above, scored a pair of goals as the Cardinal dominated San Jose State last weekend. (BRITTANY VO/The Stanford Daily)

The Cardinal opened the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) season with a bang this weekend as the Stanford women’s water polo team (9-0, 1-0 MPSF) demolished No. 10 San Jose State, winning its ninth straight game in the process.

Stanford took a small lead as the first period ended at 2-1. The second period followed the same pattern, leaving the first half at 4-2.

“San Jose State was our first taste of a dual-match this year,” said sophomore driver Pallavi Menon. “I think we had a slow start but when we got going we were in sync.”

The Cardinal crushed the Spartans during the third quarter, smashing five goals into the San Jose State net; the Spartans were unable to return any of the goals and ended up scoring zero goals during the third period. At that point, the Cardinal had a 9-2 lead and a victory was in sight.

“Stanford played an exceptional third quarter,” said sophomore two-meter Melissa Seidemann. “We found our groove and were able to put the ball away. Not much changed on the San Jose side–the change came from within the team. We knew they were tired and we took advantage of that by shooting the ball hard. It was fun for the intensity to pick up like that.”

During the fourth period, Stanford only scored one goal while San Jose State scored two. The final score, however, was 10-4, a great opening for the team’s first MPSF game.

“It was not our best game [like] the score might suggest,” Menon said. “We have a long list of areas to sharpen. I’m hopeful that our best performances are yet to come, and that is an exciting thought. We had a few spectacular goals from some of my teammates–scary for opponents, I’d say.”

Even the No. 1 team in the nation says it learns from each match it plays.

“The biggest thing that the team will take away from this game is that we need to start every game like we only have one opportunity [and] have to come out attacking,” Seidemann said.

“Something that always impresses me is the way that our drivers are so talented at posting up. Kelly Eaton did it all game, as well as Kelsey Holshouser who went in and scored a sweet backhand.”

The top scorer this weekend was Seidemann with a total of three goals. Senior drivers Eaton and Holshouser and Menon each tacked on two goals while senior two-meter Jessica Steffens smashed in a single goal.

In the net, the Cardinal demonstrated some impressive defense as well. Freshman goalkeeper Kate Baldoni saved a single attempt. Later on, junior goalkeeper Amber Oland was in the pool and stopped five shots.

Not only did the Cardinal have a fantastic match on Saturday, but the women’s water polo team has also had a phenomenal week overall. Last Monday, freshman driver Victoria Kennedy was named the MPSF Newcomer of the Week and Menon earned the Player of the Week honor. The Cardinal has now earned two Newcomer of the Week honors, as freshman two-meter Annika Dries earned the honor earlier in the season.

With a flawless record thus far and a team that is extremely united, Stanford has high hopes for the rest of the season.

“I know I can speak for the whole team when I say we want to win a MPSF championship and bring home an NCAA title,” Seidemann said. “Those are the ultimate goals, but of course it takes smaller goals to get there–such as continuing to improve our team defense, including five-on-six.”

The success of the Cardinal women’s water polo team is truly a collaborative effort as each player is contributing to the team’s perfect record.

“A lot of team effort goes into any player posting good goal averages,” Menon said. “So literally, as with all team sports, any honor in water polo is truly a team honor.”

Stanford will continue its quest for the MPSF and NCAA Championships as the team travels to southern California this weekend for the Irvine Invitational. On Saturday the Cardinal will play UC-San Diego at 9 a.m. in Corona del Mar.