Two Stanford professors receive engineering honor

Stanford professors Hau Lee and David A. B. Miller were among 68 new members elected to the National Academy of Engineering on Thursday. Six UC-Berkeley faculty members joined Lee and Miller in receiving the prestigious engineering honor.

Lee works in the Graduate School of Business as the Thoma Professor of Operations, Information and Technology. His work focuses on information sharing as well as global logistics system design, inventory planning and manufacturing design. He has also co-founded several software companies, including NON-STOP Solutions, DemandTec and SignalDemand. Lee is currently a co-director of the Global Supply Chain Management Forum.

Miller is the co-director of the Stanford Photonics Research Center and is the W. M. Keck Foundation Professor of Electrical Engineering. The NAE cited his work in the discovery of Quantum Confined Stark Effect, an effect that telecommunications equipment uses to flicker laser light. He has published more than 230 technical papers and a textbook; he currently holds 69 patents.

Other notable engineers elected Thursday include William New, Jr. of Palo Alto’s Novent Group, Mark Richard Pinto of Applied Materials Inc. in Santa Clara and Michael Duke, president and CEO of Wal-Mart.

-Zach Zimmerman