GSC confirms new Judicial Affairs students

Wednesday’s Graduate Student Council (GSC) meeting saw the approval of a slew of bills and the confirmation of several students to Judicial Affairs positions.

The meeting began with the approval of Jon McNaughtan, a first-year graduate student in education, as the School of Education representative to the GSC.

Tommy Tobin ’10 was confirmed to the Board of Judicial Affairs, while Ashley Aruffo ’11, Cindy Guan ’11, Viviana Arcia ’13 and Timothy Lau, a first-year law student, were approved as judicial panelists.

Council members approved a bill that guarantees officer salaries specified in the group’s operating budget and requires that no more than 14 days pass between regular council meetings.

An amendment passed last night to GSC funding policies will allow the council the right to audit any group receiving GSC funds.

The GSC moved on to unanimously approve joint legislative bills debated in previous weeks without discussion. Paid members of the ASSU executive cabinet must now be approved by a majority of the respective legislative body. To protect the privacy of students, a clause in the ASSU constitution that allowed identification numbers of students requesting special fee refunds to be released was removed.

The process of confirming a vice president was also clarified. The ASSU president is allowed to appoint the vice president, with two-thirds approval from both legislative bodies.