Bohm: America’s holiday – the Super Bowl

I could write an analytical breakdown of the Super Bowl right now. I could discuss the intricacies of how the Saints won the game by being sound in special teams and wearing the Colts defense out by methodically working the ball down the field.

But that would be boring. Plus, if you wanted a detailed analysis of the Super Bowl, although it is sad, I highly doubt this is where you would turn to get it. So instead, I’d rather look at the larger meaning of the Super Bowl in the context of American culture.

Is there anything more American than Super Bowl Sunday?

It combines an over-the-top spectacle, which is emblematic of American exceptionalism, with a sense of group camaraderie and tradition. Most every family or group of friends has its unique way of celebrating the Super Bowl, be it a special guacamole dip, a series of prop bets, or just a backyard barbeque.

I say they are celebrating for a reason, because for all intents and purposes, the Super Bowl has become a national holiday.

In 1984, Joseph L. Price wrote in an article for Christian Century, “There is a remarkable sense in which the Super Bowl functions as a major religious festival for American culture, for the event signals a convergence of sports, politics and myth.”

While this was written 26 years ago, his point has only become more valid as the years have passed.

Of the 90 million or so viewers of yesterday’s Super Bowl, many of them were football fans that cared deeply about the Saints and the Colts, but just as many, if not more, were not. They were watching to see the commercials, or the halftime show, or simply because it was what you do.

Price refers to the Super Bowl and politics — and he is right that a game that has zero intrinsic political influence can be used as an extraordinary political tool.

ESPN found it necessary to put an article about President Obama picking the Colts to win, but rooting for the Saints on the front of its website the morning of the game.

More precisely, the battle for advertising during the Super Bowl has become political, as CBS, somewhat controversially, allowed a commercial for a pro-life group starring Tim Tebow to air during the game, but not a racy commercial starring a homosexual former football player.

Sports are normally a venue that transcends politics, allowing Democrats and Republicans to root for the same teams and share a common interest. Politics should never become the story of sport, but, come Super Bowl time, interest groups know that this is the most watched event annually in the U.S., so it is a great time to spread a message. That said, the fact there was an open, public debate over the Tebow commercial is truly illustrative of the American democracy at work.

In addition to politics, Price refers to the myth around the Super Bowl. What better example of that than this year and the talk about the Saints winning the Super Bowl being good for New Orleans.

No one will argue that the city has been depressed and the people beat down in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, but if you read some of the articles in the lead up to the Super Bowl, it sounded as if a Saints’ victory would turn back the clock four and a half years and stop the hurricane from ever hitting.

Sports are great, but they cannot prevent tragedy, fix dysfunction or rebuild an economy. Ultimately, they are games — maybe not just games, but they are games.

The Super Bowl, however, is much, much more to America.

The United States is probably the most grandiose country in the world. Only here would it seem appropriate to spend close to $3 million on a 30-second advertisement as is done for the Super Bowl. Only here would celebrities such as Stevie Wonder, Charles Barkley, Ice Cube, LeBron James, Dwight Howard and Larry Bird all make appearances in those commercials.

It’s America. It’s over the top and extravagant. Just like Times Square is the center of New Year’s celebrations worldwide, and Hollywood is the center of film production, the Super Bowl is the ultimate media event — and it is America’s.

Only here, a country built by the minds and muscles of immigrants, would we see it appropriate to co-opt one of Britain’s finest bands for our halftime show

It is all part of creating the biggest, most exceptional event possible — because that is what America does.

No matter your religious beliefs or level of observance, if you are American, the Super Bowl is a holiday for you. Jew or Muslim, Christian or Hindu. The Super Bowl is America’s holiday.

Daniel Bohm was approached about doing a Super Bowl commercial with Tim Tebow, but turned it down. Ask him why at [email protected].