Military 101 educates students on service

An Air Force veteran and a Navy veteran led a lecture on military organization, different services, values and stereotypes Wednesday night in Tresidder Memorial Union. Sponsored by the Truman Service Initiative, the bipartisan event was hosted by SIG, the Stanford Democrats and the Stanford Conservative Society. (JUSTIN LAM/Staff Photographer)

“Military 101,” a lecture held at Tresidder Memorial Union, brought together students “confused by headline news,” interested in foreign policy, experienced in military action or just generally curious.

Attendees came to learn the workings of the military from military veterans, courtesy of the Truman Service Initiative. The program is run out of the Truman Security Project Educational Institute and is being piloted in its first year at five elite universities across the country in hopes of helping “future leaders of the U.S. bridge the civil-military divide.”

The lecture, led by an Air Force veteran and a Navy veteran, discussed the framework of military organization and the key differences between the different services, as well as focusing in depth on military values and difficult questions and stereotypes that are often raised.

Students came to learn more for a variety of reasons, from the personal to the professional.

“I’m here for general interest,” said Nailah Spruill ’12 before the event. “My dad was in the military and I never really understood what he did, so this should be enlightening.”

Attendee Sebastain Gould ’11 left Stanford after his freshman year to join the Marine Corps, where he became a Lance Corporal. He said the event addressed concerns that were important to discuss.

“You could make a whole class on these questions — the moral questions really do affect us all, like, ‘Should you join, should your children join?’” he said.

Gould emphasized the usefulness of a basic understanding of the military, equating the lecture to the Global Community general education requirement that every student has to fulfill.

“All students should have exposure to these ideas,” he said.

Kelly Gleischman ’10, a Truman coordinator, said that because of the relevance of the military for foreign policy, a knowledge of its workings is important. “Students at all levels are leaning about these issues, and the military is a critical part of foreign policy,” she said. “That’s not limited to any one interest, background, major or political party.”

“We value open dialogue and discourse on this campus, so we’re trying to provide the vocabulary to talk about these things,” added fellow organizer Jessie Knight ’10.

Gould said the event was at its best when students were able to discuss the ideas presented. “It was kind of what I expected,” he said. “The direct information approach is helpful because a lot of people don’t know anything, but the second half was better because it helped further the conversation.”

The event was hosted in conjunction with Stanford in Government, the Stanford Democrats and the Stanford Conservative Society.

Organizer Will Treseder ’11 said the Truman Service Initiative events, especially the Military 101 lecture, provide students with “military literacy.” This year is the first in a three-year pilot program that will “subsequently be larger as they get the [Truman Service Initiative’s] name out there.

“It’s really interesting to see the range of people who are interested,” Treseder said. “You’re always surprised by who might show up.”