The GAO Report (Beltway Edition): Urgent Ethical Reforms for the ASSU

Opinion by Shelley Gao

The ASSU is suffering from a credibility crisis. Trust in the Association has been severely eroded as a result of the resignation of the vice president and allegations of discretionary spending abuse by former executives. These controversies cannot go ignored. Urgent reforms must be implemented to restore confidence in the institution. The student body deserves better. You deserve better.

In order to move forward, the ASSU needs to undertake a comprehensive examination of its conduct, implement measures to deter future wrongdoings and establish thorough disciplinary procedures. A commission on ethical reform should be created immediately. It should include representatives from all ASSU bodies. To ensure both the unrestricted evaluation of ASSU activities and officials and the legitimacy of the findings, the commission should be chaired by an independent “prosecutor.”

The commission’s charge should encompass two folds. First, investigate the depth of deception and potential ethical violations involved in the circumstances surrounding the recent ASSU executive scandals. Second, recommend and establish longer-term institutional reforms.

Most of the attention in the confirmation process has been focused on the qualifications of the nominees. The real unresolved issue concerns the complicity, and possible misconduct, of current office holders. Is it appropriate for the president, who learned of the Judicial Affairs sentence and the inevitable resignation in the summer, to allow his V.P. to continue serving and perhaps even receive a salary?

As stipulated in the ASSU Constitution, the Senate and the GSC are responsible for performing rigorous oversight of the executives. The Association’s legislative bodies have the power to remove the president and/or vice president by a four-fifths vote each. But, in practice, there are inherent limitations in peer-to-peer oversight. It can be hard to question your friend’s competence and character. The Daily has also been disappointingly negligent of its duty to exercise scrutiny of student government and pursue the truth of recent controversies.

After a comprehensive investigation of the past violations, the Commission should move on to its second charge: prescribing stronger ethical guidelines. All elected and appointed ASSU officials should adopt a code of conduct. The governing documents state that an elected officer can be dismissed as a result of “consistent failure to attend regular meetings,” “actions clearly violating the intent of this Constitution” and actions that are “unbecoming.” Coupled with the lack of political will that unfortunately tends to characterize most ASSU representatives and the vagueness of the language, this provision is basically inconsequential.

Hence, a pledge of ethics needs to be established. It should be administered at the same time as the Oath of Office, during the swearing-in ceremony for newly elected officials. The pledge should provide an interpretation of “unbecoming” behavior and clear expectations of ASSU officials during their terms of service. The letter and the spirit of the principles governing conduct should be equally important. Student government officers need to recognize that their decisions have far-reaching impacts that extend beyond their private lives.

This ethical code serves as a powerful symbolic way of enhancing the integrity of the institution. But, absent of enforcement mechanisms, it is merely empty rhetoric. A second recommendation should focus on improving transparency of discretionary spending, thus eliminating the potential for improper use of public funds for personal expenditures. There are numerous ASSU officials with $1,000 discretionary accounts and almost no rules regulating their spending. This is unacceptable.

Every expense incurred by any ASSU official submitted for reimbursement should be posted publicly online and in real-time, not just at the end of the quarter as promised by the current executive. This functions as a self-checking device, reducing wasteful spending in a time of economic hardship.

In addition to the series of steps outlined above, the commission needs to assess the effectiveness of the punitive process outlined in the joint bylaws. While the legislative bodies should maintain their right to overturn any disciplinary measures by a two-thirds vote, the Constitutional Council should be further empowered to impeach ASSU officials.

By running for office, we forgo our lives as private citizens to enter the public arena. We need to hold ourselves to higher standards. Yes, we are humans. We make mistakes. What’s dangerous, however, is not realizing our mistakes. The challenge is to learn from the past and start professionalizing the ASSU. It is imperative that we start a broader conversation and move toward a culture of transparency and accountability.

Why does it matter? It matters because it is your money. You are being robbed of effective representation. A more reputable ASSU means a stronger student government advocating on your behalf. It means an ASSU having more sway when negotiating with University administrators regarding students’ priorities in budget cuts. If you don’t care about ethics for ethics’ sake, care because you are missing out on better parties and variety of academic opportunities. You should demand more from us.