Wednesday, April 24th, 2024
Search
Logo

Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football

The story of the historic revival of the Cardinal football program, from 1-11 in 2006 to Rose Bowl Champion in 2012

Thousands have already relived Stanford’s meteoric rise — get your copy today!  Available in print ($14.99) and on Amazon Kindle ($9.99).

Synopsis

The Stanford Cardinal’s resurgence from 2006 to 2012 marked one of the most remarkable transformations in college football history — at one of the most remarkable times in college football history.

In the era of the spread, a finesse offense reinvented itself as a physically imposing, run-first attack that used more tight ends and fullbacks on a single drive than most of its opponents had on their rosters. In the era of short college careers followed by lucrative professional ones, a once-in-a-generation quarterback stayed the course for a third shot at a conference title. And in the era of recruiting violations at USC, improper benefits at Ohio State, a lack of institutional control at Miami and altered grades at Auburn, a team at an elite university that had never gone to four consecutive bowls or won 11 games (and was on the heels of the worst season in school history) decided to become one of the most confident — and most successful — programs in the country.

Stanford Daily beat writers Joseph Beyda, George Chen and Sam Fisher interviewed 30 current and former players and coaches to bring you that story, “Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football.”

Free excerpts

[ubergrid id=1087429]

Did you know…

Future Heisman Trophy runner-up Toby Gerhart didn’t know which way the play was going on his first collegiate carry.

Jim Harbaugh hates curry. But when visiting the Lucks to recruit Andrew in 2007, he took seconds.

Harbaugh is a Microsoft Excel addict — and he’s used PowerPoint to spark a minor riot in the Cardinal meeting room.

Andrew Luck woke up “probably five times” the night before his first career start in 2009…at reigning 2-11 Washington State.

For more never-before-reported details about your favorite members of the Stanford football program, check out the book!

Interviews

31 members of the Cardinal football program, including:

[ubergrid id=1087439]