Meyer Library scheduled for demolition in April 2015

(MELISSA WEYANT/The Stanford Daily)
Preparations for the closing of Meyer Library began in 2007, when the University discovered that the library would cost $45 million to bring to compliance with current seismic safety standards. (MELISSA WEYANT/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford plans to construct a green open space in place of Meyer Library.

The library, dedicated in 1966, was originally constructed as a memorial for Stanford benefactor J. Henry Meyer. Preparations for the closing of Meyer Library began in 2007, when the University discovered that the library would cost $45 million to bring to compliance with current seismic safety standards, according to the Stanford Report. Demolition is scheduled for April 2015 with the completion of the green space expected in December 2015.

According to Kharon Hathaway, a project manager in Stanford’s Department of Project Management, the University intends to recycle material from the demolition.

“The roof tiles will be salvaged for use on future construction projects, and the concrete from the building itself will be crushed and used as the stabilized base for the restored site,” Hathaway said in a statement to The Daily.

Hathaway also noted that the remaining furniture in Meyer will be allocated to other departments and schools on campus, in addition to Stanford Surplus Sales.

According to the Stanford Report, the green space will feature benches and walkways, along with shrubbery, and it will restore an originally intended campus axis along Escondido that connects east and west campus.

Contact Sam Reamer at sreamer ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Sam Reamer '18 is a staff writer covering University and local news. He is from Santa Monica, California. To contact Sam, email him at sreamer ‘at’ stanford.edu.