Class of 2017 produces record high 76.7 percent yield

Stanford reported a yield rate of approximately 76.7 percent for the Class of 2017 on Tuesday — a 3.7 percent increase from last year’s figure and the highest-ever in University history, according to an email from Director of Admission Colleen Lim M.A. ’80.Class of 2017 produces record high 76.7 percent yield

“This record breaking year is a testament to Stanford’s extraordinary excellence and spirit,” Lim wrote in a statement. “Stanford is undeniably a compelling place to learn and live, and clearly these statistics indicate that the world is aware of the transformative powers and opportunities at Stanford.”

The University also offered admission to 32 transfer students, out of 1,662 applicants, on May 10. This year’s transfer admit rate of 1.9 percent marked a further decline from last year’s 2.2 percent rate and 2011’s figure of 4.1 percent.

At 1,694 students, the Class of 2017 is smaller than the two preceding classes and may shrink further before fall quarter as students drop or defer enrollment. Last year, the Office of Undergraduate Admission faced an over-enrollment of about 50 students after 1,786 students accepted offers of admission.

This year’s elevated yield rate is the latest sign of the University’s increasing selectivity. Stanford offered admission to 2,210 students this year out of a pool of 38,828 applicants, producing its lowest-ever admissions rate — at 5.69 percent — and its highest-ever number of applications received.

By Tuesday, a number of peer institutions had also released their yield rates for the Class of 2017. Harvard, Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania and Brown reported yields of 8268.764.3 and 60 percent respectively.