RT @catzdong: Relevant: @Stanford_Daily op-ed by @CoryBooker published in 1992 shortly after the controversial Rodney King verdict http://t…: 23 hours ago, The Stanford Daily
Maya Krishnan '15 and Emily Witt '15 are 2015 Rhodes Scholars! That brings the @Stanford Rhodes count to 114.: 4 days ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @TSDArtsAndLife: John Barton talks to the @Stanford_Daily about Stanford's future "trans-disciplinary" Architectural Design program. htt…: 6 days ago, The Stanford Daily

Daily staff awards and internships

Jump to: George Caulfield | Julius Jacobs | Harry Press | San Jose Mercury News | St. Louis Beacon | William F. Woo

The George Caulfield Stanford Daily Award

A $2,000 award will be presented to a Stanford Daily staff member who has demonstrated significant skills as a writer and/or editor for The Daily and has contributed to the quality and success of The Daily.

The award results from a gift to Stanford from Lorry Lokey ’49, former Daily editor and founder/president of Business Wire in honor of George F. Caulfield ’48, former Daily editor and retired journalist and public relations executive.

Applicants will be judged on these criteria:

• Sophomore or junior class standing
  • At least one year on The Stanford Daily staff
  • Demonstrated high level of journalism ability and interest
  • Other factors that may be given consideration include plans for a position or internship in the field of journalism during the summer and desire to enter the field of journalism or communications upon graduation.

The Julius Jacobs Friends of The Stanford Daily Award

A $1,000 award will be presented to a Stanford Daily staff member who demonstrates journalistic talent, contributions to The Daily and dedication to The Daily.

The award results from a bequest to the Friends of the Stanford Daily Foundation from the Julius Jacobs family.

Julius Jacobs, Editor in Chief, Vol. 87, was managing editor of the Hanford Sentinel, news editor for the Hayward Daily Review, and worked for the Merced Sun and Palo Alto Times. Jacobs moved into public relations with a position at the California Wine Institute and later worked as a freelance wine writer and public relations consultant.

The Jacobs award intends to help a Daily staffer with expenses during a summer newspaper internship, and is targeted at students new to The Daily who show exceptional promise in the journalism field. Applicants may be from all editorial departments.

The Harry Press Stanford Daily Award

This $6,000 grant is awarded to make it easier for an outstanding Daily staff member to accept a summer newspaper internship, or to continue working at The Daily during his or her senior year.

The award is a result of a gift from Lorry Lokey ‘49, general manager and president of Business Wire. It honors Harry Press ‘39, former Daily managing editor, longtime journalist and Stanford staff member, and former Stanford Daily Board member.

Previous award winners include Lauren Wilson, 2012; Jane LePham, 2011; Elizabeth Titus, 2010;  Eric Messinger 2009; Andrea Fuller and Natalie Jabbar, 2008; Gerry Shih, 2007 and Elizabeth Aguilar and Andrew Leifer, 2006.

The Friends of The Stanford Daily/San Jose Mercury News Internship Program

The Friends of The Stanford Daily/San Jose Mercury News Internship program is a unique opportunity for a Stanford Daily staffer to report and write for a major, nationally recognized newspaper near Stanford. The intern participates in a ten week summer internship program beginning in June and earns a stipend based on Guild internship salaries (approximately $800/week) funded by the Friends of The Stanford Daily.

This is a professional internship where the intern has the same duties as other Mercury News journalists. One of the strongest qualifying experiences an applicant can bring to the competition is a previous professional daily newspaper internship. If an applicant doesn’t have experience at a professional daily, s/he should include the best range of clips from a student newspaper or other journalistic experience.

Additional information:

– Multi-lingual skills are a plus due to the diverse nature of the San Jose community.

– Because of limited public transportation in the area, the intern probably will need to provide his or her own transportation to and from work. Company cars are available for work assignments.

– The June start date will be determined between the intern and the Mercury News.

Previous recipients of this internship are a good source of information. Recent interns include James Hohmann for summer 2006, Niraj Sheth for summer 2007, Shelby Martin for summer 2008, Devin Banerjee for summer 2009, Eric Messinger during 2010, Ellen Huet during 2011 and Molly Vorwerck during summer 2012.

The Friends of The Stanford Daily/St. Louis Beacon News Internship

The Friends of the Stanford Daily/St. Louis Beacon internship is a unique opportunity for a Stanford Daily staffer to report and write for an innovative, nationally recognized, nonprofit regional news website in the Midwest. The intern participates in an 8 or 10-week summer program beginning in mid-June and earns a salary of $2,000/month funded by the Friends of the Stanford Daily. A travel stipend will be included to be determined through a discussion between the intern and the Friends of the Stanford Daily.

The Stanford intern has the same duties as other Beacon journalists – reporting and writing stories. The Beacon’s most successful interns are self-starters, able to generate many of their own story ideas, work independently with minimum supervision, and meet deadlines. We especially welcome candidates who are comfortable with multimedia storytelling – audio slideshows, video or audio clips.

Interns should have experience at a daily newspaper or news website, or at a student newspaper or news website.

The William F. Woo Stanford Daily Award

This $1,000 award recognizes a Stanford University student who has demonstrated excellence in opinion writing for The Stanford Daily. Students of any class year are welcome to apply. An internship in journalism is not required to receive the award, nor is membership on The Daily staff.

The Stanford Daily Board established this grant to honor the memory of board member and Stanford journalism professor William F. Woo, who died in 2006. William Woo spent 10 years teaching journalism at Stanford after a 34-year career at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, including 10 years as editor. He was a popular teacher and mentored many Daily staff members.

Applicants or those nominating others for the award should submit the following: (1) Name, e-mail address, and phone number for the applicant or nominee; (2) 3-5 opinion clips that satisfy the criteria specified below.

Any current Stanford student or recent graduate may apply or be nominated for the award. All opinion clips must have been published in either of the two most recent Daily volumes (over the course of the past calendar year). All clips must have run while the applicant or nominee was enrolled as a student at the University. The selection committee defines “opinion” work as editorials, columns and op-ed pieces.

While the intent is to award the grant annually, the selection committee reserves the right to withhold it in any given year.